Kristin Murphy advises clients on complex business litigation, with an emphasis on securities and commodities fraud, mergers and acquisitions, professional liability, and class action litigation. She has represented clients in connection with:
- Securities class action suits
- Shareholder derivative litigation
- Internal investigations
- Merger disputes
- Proxy Contests
- Other complex, high-exposure litigation
Ms. Murphy’s recent representations include special committee engagements in controlling stockholder transactions, multijurisdictional litigation arising out of solicited and hostile takeover attempts, and investigations and litigation on behalf of special committees and boards of directors related to public company crises. She has represented pharmaceutical companies in clinical and post-clinical trial phases of development, energy companies, and real estate investment trusts.
Ms. Murphy has served on the firm’s Recruiting Committee, and Equal Employment Opportunity Review Board, and currently serves on the Training & Career Enhancement (TACE) Committee and Women Enriching Business Committee.
Ms. Murphy's recent cases include:
- At trial, defeated more than 95 percent of plaintiffs’ claimed damages in rare Section 10(b) securities class action to go to jury verdict, named by the Daily Journal as one of the Top Verdicts of 2019. Hsu v. Puma Biotechnology, Inc. (C.D. Cal. Feb. 4, 2019)
- Representation of Special Committee of the board of directors of Dell Technologies in connection with US$70.1 billion reverse merger with VMWare tracking stock
- Secured dismissal of the vast majority of Section 10 and 11 claims against Obalon Therapeutics and its officers and directors, leading to an early and highly favorable settlement
- Won motion to dismiss Section 14(a) claims against Wesco Aircraft and certain officers
- Won motion to dismiss Section 14(a) claims against biotechnology company GTX, Inc. and its officers and directors
- Secured dismissal of aiding and abetting breach of fiduciary duty claim against JP Morgan as financial advisor to seller.
- Secured preliminary injunction against would-be hostile acquirer Valeant and co-conspirator Bill Ackman and his hedge fund management company Pershing Square for insider trading in connection with a US$54.6 billion hostile takeover attempt of specialty pharmaceutical company Allergan, in a transaction named The American Lawyer’s 2015 Global M&A Deal of the Year US.
- Representation of real estate investment trusts in securities class actions and stockholder litigation alleging breach of fiduciary duties in connection with mergers.
- Representation of an IT management software provider in shareholder litigation relating to its proposed going-private transaction.
- Representation of the directors and officers of a major biopharmaceutical company in securities class action.
- Representation of an international oilfield services provider and individual officers and directors in federal securities fraud class actions in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Representation of a large beverage company in multiple mass tort actions in the US District Court for the Northern District of California and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.