Kristin Murphy advises clients on complex business litigation, with an emphasis on securities and commodities fraud, mergers and acquisitions, professional liability, and class action litigation. She has represented clients in connection with:
- Securities class action suits
- Shareholder derivative litigation
- Internal investigations
- Merger disputes
- Proxy Contests
- Other complex, high-exposure litigation
Ms. Murphy’s recent representations include special committee engagements in controlling stockholder transactions, multijurisdictional litigation arising out of solicited and hostile takeover attempts, and investigations and litigation on behalf of special committees and boards of directors related to public company crises. She has represented pharmaceutical companies in clinical and post-clinical trial phases of development, energy companies, and real estate investment trusts.
Ms. Murphy has served on the firm’s Recruiting Committee and Equal Employment Opportunity Board.
Ms. Murphy's recent cases include:
- Representation of Puma Biotechnology, Inc. and its CEO in a federal securities class action in the US District Court for the Central District of California. Following a two-week jury trial, the jury reached a unanimous verdict in Defendants’ favor on the majority of Plaintiffs’ claims, awarding a miniscule damages amount in the first federal securities class action to reach a verdict in nearly 10 years.
- Representation of Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Dell Technologies in connection with US$70.1 billion reverse merger with VMWare tracking stock.
- Secured dismissal of aiding and abetting breach of fiduciary duty claim against JP Morgan as financial advisor to seller.
- Secured preliminary injunction against would-be hostile acquirer Valeant and co-conspirator Bill Ackman and his hedge fund management company Pershing Square for insider trading in connection with a US$54.6 billion hostile takeover attempt of specialty pharmaceutical company Allergan, in a transaction named The American Lawyer’s 2015 Global M&A Deal of the Year US.
- Representation of real estate investment trusts in securities class actions and stockholder litigation alleging breach of fiduciary duties in connection with mergers.
- Representation of an IT management software provider in shareholder litigation relating to its proposed going-private transaction.
- Representation of the directors and officers of a major biopharmaceutical company in securities class action.
- Representation of an international oilfield services provider and individual officers and directors in federal securities fraud class actions in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Representation of a large beverage company in multiple mass tort actions in the US District Court for the Northern District of California and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.