September 23, 2020
LMG Life Sciences recognized Latham with seven accolades for unparalleled work and representation of clients across the industry. The organization honors “… firms, individuals and companies behind the most innovative and challenging Life Sciences work of the past year, as well as those driving the international market.”
This year, the firm received awards in the following categories:
- Life Cycle Firm of the Year – This is the second year in a row the firm has been honored with this prestigious award. Latham was selected for our “ strong offerings across the key practice areas of regulatory, financial & corporate, intellectual property and non-IP litigation & enforcement,” according to LMG Life Sciences.
- Venture Capital Firm of the Year – Latham was honored for its extensive venture capital work within the industry.
- Impact Case of the Year – Merck & Co et al v United States Department of Health and Human Services et al: Latham secured a unanimous affirmance by the US Court of Appeals of the DC Circuit of a victory the firm achieved in the US District Court of the District of Columbia on behalf of Merck, Amgen, and Eli Lilly, invalidating an ambitious federal rule that would have required every pharmaceutical manufacturer to include their wholesale list prices when advertising their drugs on television. In an opinion that will likely be an important precedent for future litigation involving questions of federal agencies’ statutory authority, the DC Circuit agreed with Latham that the rule was beyond the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ statutory authority, finding “no reasoned statutory basis for [the rule’s] far-flung reach and misaligned obligations,” and noting that while HHS's “regulatory authority is broad,” it may not “move the goalposts to wherever [it] kicks the ball.” The groundbreaking case was led by partners Rick Bress, Dan Meron, and Michael Bern.
- Impact Deal of the Year – Genmab A/S US IPO: Latham represented the underwriters in the initial public offering of Denmark-based Genmab A/S, a biotechnology company specializing in the creation and development of differentiated antibody therapeutics for the treatment of cancer. The cross-border offering produced gross proceeds of US$581 million from the sale of 3,277,500 ordinary shares of Genmab in the form of 32,775,000 ADSs at a price of US$17.75 per ADS. Each ADS represents one-tenth of one ordinary share of Genmab. Partners Peter Handrinos and Nathan Ajiashvili, led this award winning deal.
- General Patent Litigator of the Year – District of Columbia - Washington, D.C. partner and Global Vice Chair of the firm’s Healthcare and Life Sciences Industry Group, Michael Morin, was recognized for handling clients’ most complex and high-profile patent cases, particularly for brand-name life sciences companies.
- Government Investigations Attorney of the Year – Washington, D.C. partner, Daniel Meron, was recognized for his pioneering litigation work defending a wide range of healthcare and life sciences clients.
- Venture Capital Attorney of the Year – Bay Area partner and Global Chair of the firm’s Healthcare and Life Sciences Industry Group, Brian Cuneo, was recognized for providing his clients with innovative and thoughtful guidance on their market-changing deals.
LMG Life Sciences is the definitive guide to leading North American law firms and lawyers specialized in the life sciences industry in four categories: Finance and Transactional; Regulatory; Intellectual Property and Non-IP Litigation and Enforcement. The LMG Life Sciences Awards are based on a rigorous research period that involves in-depth interviews with life sciences attorneys and professionals, detailed questionnaires provided by firms, in-house client feedback, and independent survey of industry developments and news.