Latham’s success leading the joint defense effort that secured the complete dismissal, with prejudice, of all claims against our client BMW and several other German automakers in the so-called “Circle of Five” emissions conspiracy litigation was chosen among the Top Defense Verdicts of 2020.
Steven Lesan is an associate in Latham & Watkins' San Diego office, and is a member of the Litigation & Trial Department and Insurance Counseling & Recovery and Complex Commercial Litigation Practices.
Mr. Lesan represents policyholders in high-stakes insurance coverage and bad faith disputes involving a wide range of environmental, property, casualty, investment, and professional liability matters. He has extensive experience in state and federal courts, securing coverage for clients under virtually every type of insurance available, including comprehensive general liability, directors and officers liability, cyber, errors and omissions, environmental impairment liability, builders risk, film production, business interruption claims, and property policies. He has represented a host of Fortune 500 companies in a variety of complex business litigation matters in federal and state courts, before domestic arbitration panels, and in high-stakes mediations.
Mr. Lesan's client representation also touches on every aspect of insurance advising, including:
- Claims counseling for coverage under the full gamut of insurance coverage lines
- Negotiation of custom insurance products for a variety of potential risks
- Strategic management of insurance portfolios, policy procurement, and placement
- Counseling on insurance-related aspects of corporate transactions and post-restructuring, and diligence of insurance, indemnity, and “long-tail” liabilities
Mr. Lesan has represented a number of clients seeking insurance coverage for historical environmental and mass tort liabilities, including Fluor Corporation, Toyota, and Montrose Chemical Corporation of California. He has presented at industry conferences regarding leveraging insurance and maximizing recoveries. He has also served as an adjunct professor at the University of San Diego School of Law, lecturing on insurance and environmental law issues.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Lesan served as a judicial extern for Judge M. Margaret McKeown of the US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, as a judicial extern for Judge Thomas J. Whelan of the US District Court for the Southern District of California, and as a law clerk for the Los Angeles Board of Police Commissioners, Office of the Inspector General. While in law school, Mr. Lesan was the comments editor for the San Diego Law Review.
- Speaker, “Leveraging Insurance at Contaminated Sediment Sites: Efficient Use of Legacy Policies and New Offerings,” Battelle Ninth International Conference on Remediation and Management of Contaminated Sediments, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2017
- Speaker, Anchor QEA Contaminated Sediment Site Strategy Workshop, Jacksonville, Florida, 2018