Rita Cavanagh retired from Partnership on January 31, 2014; she specialized in tax controversy and litigation matters, and has participated in numerous cases before the:
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Examination Division and Appeals Office
- US Tax Court
- US Court of Federal Claims
- US Courts of Appeals
She is a member of the American Bar Association, Section of Taxation and is a former Vice Chair of the Court Procedure and Practice Committee.
Ms. Cavanagh was Associate Tax Legislative Counsel at the Department of Treasury, Office of Tax Policy, where she was responsible for legislative and regulatory matters involving federal administrative and judicial tax procedure, including:
- Corporate tax shelter disclosure and registration
- Circular 230
- Interest netting
- IRS Appeals Office ex parte procedures
- Prefiling agreement and comprehensive case resolution programs
- Lien, levy, offer-in-compromise and other collection procedures
- Other legislative or regulatory initiatives related to tax practice and procedure
She was the recipient of several service awards from the Assistant Secretary (Tax Policy).