Business Insider recognizes Mark Gerstein and Christopher Drewry as go-to advisors defending companies against activist investors.
Mark D. Gerstein, a corporate partner and previous Global Co-Chair of Latham & Watkins’ Mergers & Acquisitions Practice, advises clients on complex corporate transactions and corporate governance.
Mr. Gerstein regularly represents public and private companies, special committees of boards of directors, and financial advisors. Specifically, he helps clients navigate:
- Mergers and acquisitions (M&A), including defending and advancing unsolicited bids
- Cross-border public company combinations
- Shareholder activism planning and defense
- Special committee representation, including take-private transactions
- Spin-off transactions
Mr. Gerstein is widely recognized as a leading corporate lawyer. Clients describe him as a “superb negotiator with phenomenal commercial skills,” saying “his knowledge, skill and creativity contributes significantly to the success of the deal.”
Beyond his private practice, Mr. Gerstein serves as an adjunct faculty member of the Northwestern University School of Law. He also serves on:
- Northwestern University’s Ray Garrett Jr. Corporate and Securities Law Institute Steering Committee
- Youth Guidance’s Board (current member, past chair) which serves at-risk children in Chicago Public Schools
- University of Chicago Law School’s Advisory Council
- The University of Michigan’s Dean’s Advisory Council at the School of Literature, Science, and Arts