US-based tax partners are recognized in Turnarounds & Workouts’ special report.
Jim Cole, a partner in the Houston office, practices transactional tax involving mergers, acquisitions, financings, restructurings, and capital markets transactions. Mr. Cole regularly advises publicly traded partnerships, master limited partnerships (MLPs), corporations, developers, private equity firms, lenders, and investment banks on transactions across the energy industry, including the upstream, midstream, downstream, oil field services, and alternative energy sectors. His practice includes a focus on energy tax incentives for wind projects, solar projects, and the section 45Q federal income tax credit for carbon capture projects. Mr. Cole has been quoted in both Bloomberg Tax and Tax Notes with respect to the section 45Q federal income tax credit. Mr. Cole was named to Turnarounds & Workouts’ 2020 and 2021 lists of Bankruptcy Tax Specialists in the Nation’s Major Law Firms.
Mr. Cole currently sits on the board of the Renewable Energy Alliance of Houston.
Prior to law school, Mr. Cole practiced as a Certified Public Accountant in the tax practice of an international accounting firm.
- Panelist, "Pioneers in the CCUS Project Market," Pickering Energy TE&M Fest, September 15, 2022
- Speaker, "Clean Energy - A Closer Look at Tax Implications of the IRA," Barclays Equity Conference Call, September 13, 2022
- "Inflation Reduction Act's Impact on US Clean Energy Tax Credits, Climate, and Environmental Policies," Latham Webcast, September 14, 2022
- Panelist, “Demystifying CCUS,” Latham E&I Webcast, August 9, 2022
- “Making Sense of the Inflation Reduction Act,” Pickering Energy Partners Insights, July 29, 2022
- “Taxpayer Eligibility to Claim Section 45Q Credits,” Infocast Decarbonization Conference, July 25, 2022
- “Tax Equity Structures” Pickering Energy CCUS Mini Conference, June 28, 2022
- “What Tax Advisors Need to Know About Clean Energy Transactions” Texas Federal Tax Institute, June 9, 2022
- “A Comparison of Renewables and Oil & Gas Focused Partnerships,” Tax Executive Institute – Houston Tax School, March 2022
- Pickering Energy TE&M Fest, “Carbon Capture, Transportation & Storage – Round 2,” December 14, 2021
- REAL Houston Policy Series, “Federal Incentives for Renewable Energy Development” October 28, 2021
- “Tax Equity and Flip Partnerships: Tax Executive Institute,” Houston Tax School, October 2021
- Panelist, “45Q Tax Credits,” Morgan Stanley CCUS Conference, September 27, 2021
- Panelist, “CCUS and Tax Equity,” Barclays Energy & Power CEO Conference, September 10, 2021
- Panelist, “Capitalizing on Carbon Capture,” 2021 EIC Investor Conference, Las Vegas, May 18, 2021
- Panelist, “CCUS Investment Opportunities: Market Growth, Environmental and Tax Credits, and Permitting Considerations,” Latham E&I Webcast, May 5, 2021
- Panelist, “The Winding Road to Net Zero: A Workshop on Legal Issues Critical to Decarbonization,” North American Carbon World 2021 Virtual Conference, April 22, 2021
- "Financing Carbon Capture Projects with Tax Credits” — Texas Journal of Oil, Gas & Energy Law, 2021 Symposium
- “Update on Recent Tax Guidance for Carbon Capture Projects” Tax Executive Institute – Houston Chapter, September 2020
- 64th Annual Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute (Examining a Typical Exchange Agreement), 2018