Latham & Watkins is ranked #1 among law firms for activism defense by number of campaigns on FactSet’s Q1 2018 Activism Scorecard. The ranking reflects the number of public US campaigns for which Latham defended companies against shareholder activism during the first quarter of the year.
A sampling of the firm’s recent notable representations include:
- Mellanox Technologies in engagement by Starboard Value to gain board control/enhance corporate governance
- Cars.com Inc. in connection with the investment in the company by Starboard Value LP, who filed a 13D announcing a 9.9% stake in Cars.com
- PDL BioPharma in engagement by SevenSaoi Capital to gain board seats
- Xerium Technologies in engagement by Barington Companies to gain two board seats
- Spok Holdings in engagement by Braeside Investments to maximize stockholder value and gain one board seat
Latham’s Activism Practice combines the best of the firm’s corporate governance, takeover defense, and proxy contest practices to help advise public companies regarding changes to their shareholder base and interactions with activist investors.