General Newsroom Hero 1920x480 (4:1)
Our Work

Latham Advises on The Carlyle Group’s Acquisition of a 37% Stake in CEPSA

October 30, 2019
A cross-border team advised on financing and regulatory matters in connection with Carlyle’s stake in Europe’s largest privately-owned integrated energy company.

Mubadala Investment Company, the Abu Dhabi-based sovereign investor, and global investment firm The Carlyle Group (NASDAQ: CG) have announced that they have completed the transaction announced on April 8, 2019, in which funds affiliated with Carlyle have acquired 37% shareholding in Compañía Española de Petróleos, S.A.U (Cepsa) from Mubadala. Mubadala will remain the majority shareholder in Cepsa, holding the remaining 63%. Headquartered in Madrid, Spain, Cepsa is Europe’s largest privately-owned integrated energy company. 

Latham & Watkins LLP represented Carlyle on financing matters in connection with the transaction. The cross-border finance team was led by Washington, D.C. partners Jeffrey Chenard and Manu Gayatrinath, Madrid partner Fernando Colomina, and London partner Charles Armstrong, with associates Brian Howaniec and Alison Morris in Washington, D.C., Aitor Errasti and Pablo Alarcón in Madrid, and Fergus O’Domhnaill and Medha Vikram in London. Advice was also provided on capital markets matters by Washington, D.C. partners Patrick Shannon and Jason Licht, with associate Christopher Clark, and on antitrust matters by Brussels partner Luca Crocco and Washington, D.C. partner Marc Williamson, with associates Sophia Lange, Philipp Gnatzy, Andressa Lin Fidelis, Jonathan Akinyemi, and Carlos Betoret.