Increasing pathways to build a more diverse legal community
At Latham, you belong as you are. Our firm comprises talented people from around the world, reflecting a rich mixture of racial and ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientations, gender identities, religions, cultures, socioeconomic backgrounds, and primary languages. Our people are our greatest asset.
We are seeking the best and brightest students with fresh perspectives on how to best serve our clients and deepen our culture of inclusion and allyship for one another.
To help increase diversity, equity, and inclusion within the legal industry at large, and to alleviate the financial strains on law students, Latham has significantly increased the number of available 2L diversity scholarships.
Latham’s Pathways Program is intended to help students through law school while also relieving some of the financial pressure as they begin to practice in a way that’s meaningful and impactful to clients, society, and our firm.
1L Diversity Scholars Program
Our 1L Diversity Scholars Program offers a unique opportunity to students who have just finished their first year of law school (class of 2025) at an ABA-accredited school. The 10-week program includes:
- In-depth legal training, mentoring, and real-world experience at one of Latham’s US or London offices and a secondment to the legal department of one of our clients. 1L Diversity Scholars will work alongside the 2023 summer associates.
- An invitation to Latham’s Diversity Leadership Academy, a multi-day program focused on developing and empowering the legal industry’s future leaders.
- A variety of opportunities offered through the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) for 1L Scholars at LCLD Member organizations including:
- A dedicated LinkedIn group for discussions and advice sharing
- Virtual social hours to deepen relationships within small groups
- An invitation to the 1L LCLD Scholars Summit, a three-day professional development conference that focuses on leadership, relationship building, and career development strategies
2L Diversity Scholars Program
Our 2L Diversity Scholars Program offers a unique opportunity to students who have just finished their second year of law school (class of 2024) at an ABA-accredited school. The 10-week program includes:
In-depth legal training, mentoring, and real-world experience at one of Latham’s US or London offices. 2L Diversity Scholars will work alongside the 2023 summer associates.
2L Diversity Scholars will receive:
- A weekly salary throughout the 10-week program, plus a US$50,000 scholarship
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Latham's Pathways Program
The application process is open to all law students enrolled in an ABA-accredited law school, regardless of race, color, religion, citizenship, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, military service, disability, or any other characteristic or condition protected by applicable law.
2L Diversity Scholars must spend the first 10 weeks of the summer program with Latham.
Latham’s Recruiting Committee will evaluate all applications and consider the following factors:
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) in their communities and/or in the legal profession
- Academic and leadership achievements
- Obstacles or challenges (financial or otherwise) encountered in advancing career objectives
- Life experiences that have shaped values (including a commitment to DEI) and professional goals
- A desire to practice at a global law firm
A complete application package must include the following items:
- Completed online application
- Unofficial or official law school transcript
- If your first semester grades are not available by the application deadline, you may submit your application online and separately email your transcript once your grades become available. Once it is available, please email your unofficial transcript to Recruit.Global@lw.com. Finalists will be required to submit official transcripts as they progress through the selection process.
- Personal statement (500 to 1,000 words) addressing one or more of the following:
- Your resilience and tenacity
- How you will contribute to Latham’s inclusive culture and diverse community
- Experiences that have shaped your commitment to inclusion, diversity, and belonging in the legal profession
- Enrolled full time in a JD program at an ABA-accredited law school with an anticipated graduation date of 2024 (2L Diversity Scholars) or 2025 (1L Diversity Scholars) at the time of application.
- Must participate in Latham’s full 10-week 2023 Summer Program, starting on May 22, 2023. Exceptions to this start date will only be made due to conflicts with academic calendars.
- Demonstrate a commitment to promoting DEI within the legal community and/or more broadly.
Dates and Deadlines2023 1L applications are now open - apply now. 2023 2L applications are closed. Sign up to be notified when 2024 2L applications are open.
Applying for our Pathways Program does not preclude you from interviewing with us during on-campus interviews. In fact, we encourage all scholarship applicants to schedule an interview with us on campus.
Applications to our 2L Diversity Scholars Program will automatically be considered for our summer associate positions so there is no need to submit a separate application.
At Latham you are encouraged to bring your own unique perspective, because our diversity fuels understanding and innovation. Learn more about Latham’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, including our world-class programs, affinity groups, and accolades. To speak to a recruiter directly, contact Recruit.Global@lw.com.