Increasing pathways to build a more diverse legal community
At Latham, you belong as you are. Our firm comprises talented people from around the world, reflecting a rich mixture of racial and ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientations, gender identities, religions, cultures, socioeconomic backgrounds, and primary languages. Our people are our greatest asset.
We are seeking the best and brightest students with fresh perspectives on how to best serve our clients and deepen our culture of inclusion and allyship for one another.
To help increase diversity, equity, and inclusion within the legal industry at large, and to alleviate the financial strains on law students, Latham has doubled the number of available 2L diversity scholarships.
Latham’s Pathways Program is intended to help students through law school while also relieving some of the financial pressure as they begin to practice in a way that’s meaningful and impactful to clients, society, and our firm.
Our 1L Diversity Scholars Program (previously the 1L Fellowship Program) offers a unique opportunity to students who have just finished their first year of law school (class of 2024) at an ABA-accredited school. The 10-week program includes:
- In-depth legal training, mentoring, and real-work experience at one of Latham’s US offices and a secondment to the legal department of one of our clients. 1L Diversity Scholars will work alongside 2022 summer associates.
- An invitation to Latham’s Diversity Leadership Academy, a multi-day program focused on developing and empowering the legal industry’s future leaders.
- A variety of opportunities offered through the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) for 1L Scholars at LCLD Member organizations including:
- A dedicated LinkedIn group for discussions and advice sharing
- Virtual social hours to deepen relationships within small groups
- An invitation to the 1L LCLD Scholars Summit, a three-day professional development conference that focuses on leadership, relationship building, and career development strategies
- A potential, fully paid placement following Latham’s Summer Program with an in-house legal department at a select Latham client, subject to client needs: candidates will be required to interview with clients directly as well as Latham.
- Priority pick for the 2L enrichment experience if graduating into the 2L Diversity Scholars program.
Our 2L Diversity Scholars Program offers a unique opportunity to students who have just finished their second year of law school (class of 2023) at an ABA-accredited school. The 10-week program includes:
In-depth legal training, mentoring, and real-work experience at one of Latham’s US offices. 2L Diversity Scholars will work alongside the 2022 summer associates.
- An optional enrichment experience that includes one of the following:
- Client in-house rotation: Gain valuable experience by working in-house alongside the legal department of one of Latham’s clients.
- Pro bono: Give back to the community by providing free legal services through a firm-approved pro bono project.
- International law: Acquire global legal experience by using your language skills or demonstrated interest to do an international placement at a non-US Latham office or partner organization, subject to travel restrictions.
- Special interest project: Follow your passion, and work on a special interest legal project of your choice, such as a law school clinic matter or tackling diversity and inclusion issues in Big Law.
- A potential, fully paid placement following Latham’s Summer Program with an in-house legal department at a select Latham client, subject to client needs: candidates will be required to interview with clients directly as well as Latham
2L Diversity Scholars will receive:
- A weekly salary throughout the 10-week program, plus a US$50,000 scholarship
The application process is open to all law students enrolled in an ABA-accredited law school, regardless of race, color, religion, citizenship, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, military service, disability, or any other characteristic or condition protected by applicable law.
2L Diversity Scholars are not permitted to split their summer with another private employer.
Latham’s Recruiting Committee will evaluate all applications and consider the following factors:
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting inclusion, equity, and belonging in the legal profession
- Academic and leadership achievements
- Obstacles, challenges, or other factors (financial or otherwise) encountered in advancing career objectives
- Life experiences that have shaped values and professional goals
- A desire to practice at a global law firm
A complete application package must include the following items:
- Completed online application
- Unofficial or official law school transcript (including your complete grades for all law school semesters)
- If your current semester grades are not available when you apply, please submit your current transcript with the application, and then send your updated transcript to Recruiting.Global@lw.com once your current semester grades are available.
- Personal statement (500 to 1,000 words) addressing your resilience and tenacity and how you will contribute to Latham’s inclusive culture and diverse community
- Please include a description of your academic and leadership achievements; noteworthy contributions you have made to your community (as defined by you); experiences that have shaped your commitment to inclusion, diversity and belonging in the legal profession; and/or how you have overcome adversity.
Dates and Deadlines
2022 2L applications are now closed. Sign up to be notified when 2022 1L applications open (expected in Fall/Winter 2021).
At Latham you are encouraged to bring your own unique perspective, because our diversity fuels understanding and innovation. Learn more about Latham’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, including our world-class programs, affinity groups, and accolades. To speak to a recruiter directly, contact Recruiting.Global@lw.com.