Latham is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. Our 2L Diversity Scholars Program offers a summer employment opportunity and a scholarship of US$25,000.
2021 2L Diversity Scholars
Dates and Deadlines
Due to COVID-19, we have delayed opening applications for 2021 summer associate positions and related scholarships. Sign up to be notified when applications open. In the meantime, explore Latham’s practice areas and learn about life at the firm by participating in one of our Virtual Experience Programs.
Please note: applying for Latham’s 2L Diversity Scholars Program does not preclude you from interviewing with us during on-campus interviews. In fact, we encourage all scholarship applicants to schedule an interview with us on campus.
Scholarship and Employment Offer
The 2L Diversity Scholars Program awards select second-year law students an offer of summer employment and a scholarship of US$25,000 (less applicable taxes and withholdings). The first US$10,000 of the scholarship is paid upon starting as a summer associate at Latham, and the balance of US$15,000 is paid upon starting as a full-time associate at the firm. As a 2L Diversity Scholar, you also receive valuable networking, training, and mentoring opportunities. Since the program’s inception in 2005, Latham has awarded nearly US$2 million in scholarships.
To be eligible to apply for the 2021 2L Diversity Scholars Program, you must be enrolled in an ABA-accredited law school and seek to practice law in a US Latham office. You must have successfully completed the first year of a full-time JD program by the application deadline, with an expected graduation date of spring 2022.
The application process is open to all rising second-year law students (class of 2022) enrolled in an ABA-accredited law school, regardless of race, color, religion, citizenship, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, military service, disability, or any other characteristic or condition protected by applicable law.
A selection panel consisting of Latham attorneys will evaluate all applications, considering the factors below:
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting inclusion and diversity in the legal profession
- Academic and leadership achievements
- Obstacles, challenges, or other factors (financial or otherwise) encountered in advancing career objectives
- Life experiences that have shaped values and professional goals
- Long-term interest in practicing law in one of our US offices
A complete application package must include the following items:
- Completed online application (link will be activated once applications open)
- Unofficial or official law school transcript (including your complete grades for the 1L year and fall 2020 grades). If your fall grades are not available when you apply, please submit your current transcript with the application, and then send your updated transcript to Recruiting.Global@lw.com once your fall grades are available.
- Personal statement (500 to 1,000 words) addressing your resilience and tenacity and how you will contribute to Latham’s unique culture and diverse community. Please include a description of your academic and leadership achievements; noteworthy contributions you have made to your community or otherwise; and/or how you have overcome adversity.
As a previous 1L Fellowship or Diversity Leadership Academy applicant, you do NOT need to submit a new personal statement.
Please email Recruiting.Global@lw.com with any questions regarding the Latham & Watkins 2L Diversity Scholars Program.