Latham is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. Our 2L Diversity Scholars Program offers a summer employment opportunity and a scholarship of US$25,000.
2020 2L Diversity Scholars
Dates and Deadlines
The application period is now open.
Please note: applying for Latham’s 2L Diversity Scholars Program does not preclude you in any way from interviewing with Latham & Watkins during on-campus interviews. In fact, we encourage candidates to still schedule an on-campus interview with Latham & Watkins.
Scholarship and Employment Offer
The 2L Diversity Scholars Program awards select second-year law school students a scholarship of US$25,000 (less applicable taxes and withholdings). The first US$10,000 of the scholarship will be paid upon starting as a summer associate at Latham & Watkins, and the balance of US$15,000 will be paid upon starting as a full-time associate at the firm. As a 2L Diversity Scholar, you will also receive valuable networking, training, and mentoring opportunities.
To be eligible to apply for the 2020 2L Diversity Scholars Program, you must be enrolled in an ABA-accredited law school and seek to practice law in one of Latham’s US offices. You must have successfully completed your first year of a full-time JD program by the application deadline, with an expected graduation date of spring 2021.
The application process is open to all rising second-year law students (class of 2021) enrolled in an ABA-accredited law school, regardless of race, color, religion, citizenship, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, military service, disability, or any other characteristic or condition protected by applicable law.
A selection panel consisting of Latham attorneys will evaluate all applications, considering the factors below:
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting inclusion and diversity in the legal profession
- Academic and leadership achievements
- Obstacles, challenges, or other factors (financial or otherwise) encountered in advancing career objectives
- Life experiences that have shaped values and professional goals
- Long-term interest in practicing law in one of our US offices
A complete application package must include the following items:
- Completed online application
- Unofficial or official law school transcript (including your complete grades for the 1L year)
- A personal statement (500 to 1,000 words) addressing how you have demonstrated resilience and tenacity that will contribute to the diversity of experience across Latham’s practice and culture, and what you believe demonstrates your qualification for the 2L Diversity Scholarship including, but not limited to, a description of your academic and leadership achievements; noteworthy contributions to the community or otherwise; and/or how you overcame adversity
As a previous 1L Fellowship or Diversity Leadership Academy applicant, you do NOT need to submit a new personal statement.
2019 2L Diversity Scholars
Learn more about our 2019 2L Diversity Scholars here.
Our 2019 Diversity Scholars
Please email Recruiting.Global@lw.com with any questions regarding the Latham & Watkins 2L Diversity Scholars Program.