Lex Kuo is a counsel in Latham & Watkins’ Entertainment, Sports & Media Practice with a focus on Greater China. He advises Chinese and international clients, including producers, distributors and financiers of motion picture and other content, on cross-border financing, development, production and distribution of media and entertainment projects.
Mr. Kuo has experience in Sino-foreign co-financing and co-production of film and television titles, music licensing, strategic cooperation and joint ventures, intellectual property rights, content exploitation on traditional and new media platforms, and other aspects of the media and entertainment industry in Greater China.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Kuo worked in-house at the Beijing office of a Big Six studio and advised on legal matters relating to the development and production of local content.
In addition to his role as a lawyer, Mr. Kuo is also a seasoned radio producer and host and has produced syndicated radio programs in Greater China.
Mr. Kuo's recent experience includes advising:
- Major Hollywood studios, production companies and investors on Sino-foreign co-production film and television projects in China*
- A major Hollywood studio, a Chinese investment holding company and a Chinese entertainment company on co-production of an English-language Hollywood film project*
- A Chinese investment holding company on its investment in a Hollywood film project based on a renowned online game*
- A Hollywood production company on regulatory compliance and commercial matters in connection with the exploitation of an Academy Award-winning film in China*
- A major Hollywood studio on its strategic alliance with a Chinese media conglomerate in connection with joint development of television projects, Sino-foreign co-production film projects, content distribution and marketing cooperation in China*
- A Chinese investment holding company on its exclusive agreements with a major Hollywood studio and leading media companies to exploit television formats in China*
- A US-listed internet company on various corporate and regulatory compliance matters in China*
*Matter handled prior to joining the firm