Simon Baskerville is a partner in the London office of Latham & Watkins and Global Co-Chair of the Restructuring, Insolvency & Workouts Practice.
Mr. Baskerville specializes in acting for financial investors on all aspects of their investments including distressed debt investing, restructurings, special situations lending, loan-to-own transactions, non-performing loan portfolio acquisitions, and M&A. Mr. Baskerville also has extensive experience of acting for all other stakeholders in stressed, distressed, and insolvency situations including private and listed companies, bondholder committees, and insolvency practitioners and receivers.
Mr. Baskerville was listed in the 40 Under 40 list of the world’s leading restructuring specialists in the Global Restructuring Review 2016.
Mr. Baskerville’s representative transactions include advising:
- The ad hoc committee of lenders to Steinhoff Europe AG in respect of the financial restructuring of the Steinhoff group
- Savannah Petroleum plc in respect of its investment in, and acquisition of, the Seven Energy group
- Various funds on special situation financings across the globe, including a financing secured on multiple vessels operating off of the coast of Africa and a financing secured on a large hotel complex in Italy
- The senior lender committee on the restructuring and refinancing of Promotora de Informaciones, S.A. (PRISA)
- The Punch Taverns securitisation groups on the demerger of the Spirit pub group and their subsequent bond restructuring*
- The ad-hoc committee of bondholders on the restructuring of Petropavlovsk, a UK listed Russian gold mining company*
- A leading global investment fund on its joint bid and acquisition of the restructured debt and equity of the PHS group, a leading provider of workplace services*
- A leading global investment management fund on the acquisition of a distressed multi-jurisdictional real estate debt portfolio and subsequent work-out and refinancing*
- A leading global investment management fund on its acquisition, and merger, of the Countryside Properties and Millgate Homes housebuilder groups*
- A committee of bondholders on the Belize sovereign debt restructuring, which included negotiations with the monoline insurer which wrapped the bonds*
- Acting for an ad-hoc committee of Co-op Group bondholders on the Co-op Bank restructuring*
- A leading global investment management fund on the debt refinancing of the Alliance Medical group and subsequent acquisition of the group’s restructured debt and equity*
- The ad hoc bondholder committee on the bond restructuring of, and repayment negotiations with, the Icelandic bank, ALMC (formerly known as Straumur-Burdaras Investment Bank)*
- A sovereign wealth fund on its acquisition from receivership of the European headquarters of a global investment bank and related restructuring through a cross-border scheme of arrangement and financing*
- A senior lender coordinating committee and the administrators on the pre-pack sale and refinancing of the dentist group, James Hull Associates*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham