Simon Baskerville is a partner in the London office of Latham & Watkins and Global Co-Chair of the Restructuring, Insolvency & Workouts Practice.
Mr. Baskerville specializes in acting for financial investors on all aspects of their investments including distressed debt investing, restructurings, special situations lending, loan-to-own transactions, non-performing loan portfolio acquisitions, and M&A. Mr. Baskerville also has extensive experience of acting for all other stakeholders in stressed, distressed, and insolvency situations including private and listed companies, bondholder committees, insolvency practitioners and receivers.
Mr. Baskerville was listed in the 40 Under 40 list of the world’s leading restructuring specialists in the Global Restructuring Review 2016.
Mr. Baskerville regularly produces articles for release to clients including: "Reserve based lending in the oil and gas sector – distressed investment opportunities" (2015) and Directors' Duties in the "Zone of Insolvency" (2013).
Mr. Baskerville’s representative transactions include advising:
- The Punch Taverns securitisation groups on the demerger of the Spirit pub group and their subsequent bond restructuring*
- Acting for the ad-hoc committee of bondholders on the restructuring of Petropavlovsk, a UK listed Russian gold mining company*
- A leading global investment fund on its joint bid and acquisition of the restructured debt and equity of the PHS group, a leading provider of workplace services*
- A leading global investment management fund on the acquisition of a distressed multi-jurisdictional real estate debt portfolio and subsequent work-out and refinancing*
- A leading global investment management fund on its acquisition, and merger, of the Countryside Properties and Millgate Homes housebuilder groups*
- A committee of bondholders on the Belize sovereign debt restructuring, which included negotiations with the monoline insurer which wrapped the bonds*
- Acting for an ad-hoc committee of Co-op Group bondholders on the Co-op Bank restructuring*
- A leading global investment management fund on the debt refinancing of the Alliance Medical group and subsequent acquisition of the group’s restructured debt and equity*
- A leading global investment management fund on its acquisition from the secured lender and debt financing of the O’Flynn Construction group, together with O’Flynn Construction*
- The ad hoc bondholder committee on the bond restructuring of, and repayment negotiations with, the Icelandic bank, ALMC (formerly known as Straumur-Burdaras Investment Bank)*
- Endeka Ceramics on its debt-for-equity restructuring through a cross-border scheme of arrangement*
- A sovereign wealth fund on its acquisition from receivership of the European headquarters of a global investment bank and related restructuring through a cross-border scheme of arrangement and financing*
- A senior lender coordinating committee and the administrators on the pre-pack sale and refinancing of the dentist group, James Hull Associates*
* Deal completed at previous firm