Sara Orr, counsel in Latham’s Environment, Land & Natural Resources Department, advises clients on a range of environmental and sustainability issues.
Ms. Orr works with financial institutions, private equity firms, and corporate clients to assess and manage environmental risks. She regularly advises clients on environmental issues in corporate and transactional matters in the oil & gas, power & renewable energy, petrochemical, metals & mining, manufacturing, and real estate sectors. She also represents both sponsors and lenders in connection with financing and developing major projects, and has particular experience with international environmental and social standards, including the Equator Principles.
Ranked Tier 1 in the Environmental: Transaction category by The Legal 500 USA, Ms. Orr has worked on hundreds of complex projects and transactions around the globe, including:
- Mergers and acquisitions (M&A)
- Project financings
- Securities offerings (IPOs)
- Corporate finance matters
- Real estate matters (REITs)
- Corporate restructurings
Complementing her transactional experience, Ms. Orr provides insights gained from more than a decade of Washington D.C. experience to advise clients on federal environmental and energy policy. She frequently writes and speaks about corporate social responsibility and sustainability issues, including as a co-author of “Introduction to Corporate Sustainability” Practical Guidance at Lexis Practice Advisor.
Ms. Orr has held several firm leadership positions. She previously served as the Washington, DC office representative on Latham’s global Pro Bono Committee, Associates Committee, Mentoring Committee (local office chair), Knowledge Management Committee, and was a founding member of the DC office Green Committee.
A sample of Ms. Orr’s significant experience in complex transactions throughout the world includes advising:
- Anadarko Petroleum Corporation in connection with the financing of the development of an LNG Project in Mozambique, with estimated costs of US$26 billion
- Private equity firm Arclight Capital Partners in a number of transactions, including its acquisition of offshore oil and gas assets from BP and its acquisition of Hovensa’s terminal facilities
- Bass Pro Group, LLC in its completed US$5 billion acquisition of Cabela’s Incorporated
- Underwriters in the US$1.57 billion initial public offering of Antero Resources (named Best Financing of the Year by Oil and Gas Investor magazine) and in the US$1 billion and US$600 million notes offerings of Antero Resources
- Goldman Sachs in multiple financings of various natural resource extraction companies
- An ad hoc group of secured noteholders and debtor-in-possession lenders led by DDJ Capital Management in the Real Industry, Inc. bankruptcy cases, including the acquisition by the noteholders of substantially all of the company’s assets valued at US$450 million
- The lenders and noteholders in a bank and private placement financing of the Texoma portfolio of wind projects owned by Duke Energy
- A major mining company in connection with the development of a new US phosphate mine, including counseling on public lands management issues, NEPA and litigation strategy
- The sponsor, Sasol Chemicals (USA) LLC, in connection with the development and project financing of a multi-billion dollar petrochemical project in Louisiana that Infrastructure Journal Global and Project Finance International magazines named America's Petrochemical Deal of the Year of 2014
Ms. Orr’s lectures include:
- Moderator, “Risk Hidden in Plain Sight: Exploring and Understanding the Corporate Supply Chain,” 4th Annual Sustainability Investment Leadership Conference (May 2019)
- Session Chair/Moderator, Latham & Watkins Academy of Project Finance – Paris, Panel Discussion: Environmental and Social Hot Buttons (March 2019)
- Session Panelist, EMLF Special Institute on Petrochemicals, “Forecasting Petrochemical Industry Legal Issues” (April 2018)
- Session Panelist, Sustainable Investment Leadership Counsel, “Reputation and Sustainability” (November 2017)
- Session Moderator, American Bar Association 42nd Spring Conference, The Rapidly Expanding Natural Gas Market: How Will It Change Your Life? (March 2013)
- Conference Planning Committee, American Bar Association Standing Committee on Environmental Law, “Navigating the New Green Economy: The Challenges of Climate Change and the Opportunities for Clean Energy” (May 2011)
- Conference Coordinator, American Bar Association 38th National Spring Conference, “The Environment: Chemicals Regulation – Reaching for TSCA Reform” (June 2010)