Robert Perrin is the former Co-Chair of the Los Angeles Litigation & Trial Department, and focuses on complex business litigation and shareholder litigation. He is additionally a member of the Securities Litigation & Professional Liability, Complex Commercial Litigation, and White Collar Defense and Investigations Practices.
Mr. Perrin has extensive experience in successfully handling complex business litigation matters from pre-litigation through appeal. He regularly represents companies, financial institutions, and corporate officers and directors in securities class actions, shareholder derivative litigation, and mergers and acquisition litigation. Mr. Perrin also regularly assists clients in conducting internal investigations and responding to SEC and DOJ investigations, and advises on internal compliance issues.
Mr. Perrin additionally has deep experience successfully defending major accounting firms (and their partners) in securities and professional liability litigation, and regulatory investigations.
Mr. Perrin is a former member of the Board of Governors of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers. In addition to his legal practice, Mr. Perrin is also active in the community, currently serving on the boards of directors of the Western Center on Law & Poverty, Street Poets, Inc., and Spark Programs, Inc. (Los Angeles).
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Perrin clerked for Judge Harry L. Hupp, United States District Court, Central District of California (1996-1997).
A partial list of recent matters handled by Mr. Perrin includes:
- Welch v. Pacific Coast Oil Trust & Pacific Coast Energy Company LP (LA Superior Ct.) Defending issuer in securities class action alleging misrepresentations in public filings. (2015-16)
- PG&E San Bruno Fire Derivative Cases (San Mateo Superior Court) Defending PG&E in shareholder derivative litigation alleging regulatory violations in connection with gas explosion. (2015-16)
- Woolsey, et al. v. J.P. Morgan Energy Ventures Corp., et al. (S.D. Cal.) Secured dismissal of JPMorgan Chase and affiliate in class action related to energy rate-setting. (2015-16)
- In re Las Vegas Sands Corp. Deriv. Litigation (D. Nev.) Secured dismissal of individual PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP partner in shareholder derivative action in Las Vegas. (2014-15)
- Himelsein v. Absa Bank, Ltd. (C.D. Cal.) Secured dismissal of South African Barclays affiliate in securities litigation brought by investor in failed hotel development project. (2014)
- Roth v. Roth (In re World Oil Corp.) (LA Superior Ct.) Represented family-run oil company and subsidiaries in defending shareholder derivative and breach of fiduciary duty claims. (2013)
- Prime Mover Capital Partners, Inc. v. Elixir Gaming Technologies, Inc. (SDNY) Successfully argued Second Circuit appeal affirming dismissal of federal and state securities and contract claims against gaming companies Melco Development Group Limited (Hong Kong) and Elixir Group Limited. (2013)
- Katz v. Donovan (LA Sup. Ct). Secured the dismissal of Credit Suisse affiliate in shareholder derivative litigation related to ownership and control of Maker Studios. (2013)
- SBP Capital Partners v. Deloitte & Touche LLP (LA Sup. Ct.) Defended Big 4 accounting firm in tax malpractice case regarding tax treatment of US$1 billion in subprime mortgage securitizations. (2012-2013)
- In re IndyMac Bancorp., Inc. (CD Cal.) Secured the dismissal of Ernst & Young LLP of securities class action and related litigation arising out of the highly publicized failure of IndyMac Bank. (2012)
Publications and Presentations
Mr. Perrin’s recent publications and presentations include:
- Panel Moderator & Panelist, SEC Enforcement in 2012: Developments and Directions, Directors Roundtable Institute, Los Angeles, California (July 10, 2012)
- Panelist, The Attorney-Client Privilege and the In-House Counsel, Latham & Watkins Client Seminar (April 26, 2011)
- Panel Chairman/Participant, Security & Privacy Actions: The Changing Landscape for Business Litigators (Witness Examinations), Association of Business Trial Lawyers Annual Seminar, Napa, California (Oct. 5-7, 2007)
- Panelist, The Gatekeepers – Auditors, GCs and Audit Committees, 2006 AICPA Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada (Sept. 29, 2006)
- The State of Scienter: A Comparative Survey Ten Years After the Enactment of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act, Securities Litigation Report, Vol. 3, No. 1 (Dec.-Jan. 2006)
- The Sarbanes-Oxley Act: A Spotlight on Individual Officers, Directors and Legal Counsel, Latham & Watkins Client Alert No. 218 (Aug. 19, 2002)