Peter J. Gutierrez is a member of the Environment, Land & Resources Practice in the Los Angeles office of Latham & Watkins. His practice focuses on real estate, land use and development, as well as other government and regulatory matters.
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Gutierrez served in the office of the Los Angeles City Attorney as the Supervising Attorney of the Real Estate and Economic Development Practice Group. In this role, Mr. Gutierrez supervised 60 attorneys in four divisions, handling a wide range of economic and real estate development matters including land use, environmental, redevelopment and public finance.
Mr. Gutierrez also previously served as a Principal Deputy County Counsel for the County of Los Angeles, where he advised the Board of Supervisors, Regional Planning Commission, Regional Planning Department and Department of Public Works in all aspects of land development including land use entitlements and permits, land use litigation, subdivisions, CEQA and zoning enforcement.
- Entitlements and environmental approval for 230-megawatt solar power project in the Antelope Valley (first utility scale solar project in LA County)
- Entitlements and environmental approval for adaptive reuse of historic theater in East Los Angeles
- Entitlements and environmental approvals for master planned communities in Palmdale and Santa Clarita and 314 unit subdivision in Chatsworth
- Entitlements and environmental approvals for 42-story residential high-rise in Downtown LA
- Development moratorium advocacy for subdivision in Castaic
- Land use diligence for financing and acquisition of commercial, industrial and residential properties
Mr. Gutierrez is active in business community organizations. He serves on the Board of Directors of the LA/Ventura Chapter of the Building Industry Association where he Chairs the LA County Committee. He is also active in the Central City Association and Los Angeles Business Council where he serves on the Legislative Committee and Transportation and Housing Committee.