Pablo Clarke is an associate in the Los Angeles office of Latham & Watkins and is a member of the Real Estate Practice and REIT Industry Group. Mr. Clarke has extensive experience in a broad range of real estate and finance transactions including mortgage and mezzanine financing, preferred equity transactions, corporate REIT financing, acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, and commercial leasing.
He represents private equity firms, investors, REITs, and financial institutions in connection with real estate and finance matters across a variety of real estate asset classes including office, industrial, raw land, retail, hospitality, single and multifamily developments, and medical.
Mr. Clarke advises sponsors, investors, and lenders up and down the capital stack in connection with the structuring of debt and equity financings and investments including mortgage lending (CMBS and non-CMBS), construction financing, revolving borrowing base loans, mezzanine loans, preferred equity investments, and joint ventures.
He also represents REITs and financial institutions in connection with the origination and ongoing management of various corporate credit products such as secured and unsecured term and revolving credit facilities, private placement notes, and acquisition financing.
He advises developers and investors in the negotiating and documenting of purchase and sale agreements, ground leases and easements primarily for the construction, development, and repositioning of real property.
Mr. Clarke returned to Latham after serving as the general counsel for Garnett Station Partners, an investment firm focused on building retail and consumer businesses across four platforms: (i) franchised restaurants, (ii) automotive care, (iii) baby products, and (iv) preneed and death care.
He previously served as an attorney-advisor for the United States Department of Housing & Urban Development representing the Agency on various governmental products for the acquisition, construction, and repurposing of multifamily units in the affordable housing and healthcare industries.
Mr. Clarke is a member of the Urban Land Institute – Capital Markets Group.
He is an advisory board member for the GEANCO Foundation, a non-profit focused on medical and educational missions in Africa.
He is also a member of the CRE Finance Counsel.
Mr. Clarke’s representative matters include advising:
- A debt fund in the origination of a US$72 million mezzanine construction loan in connection with the development of a Ritz Carlton branded resort and community
- A data center REIT in connection with the recast of its US$3.5 billion corporate term loan and revolving credit facilities
- A joint venture with a major league baseball team for the purchase and redevelopment of various properties
- A hotel REIT in connection with the origination of a US$220 million single asset CMBS mortgage loan
- A major lease soccer team in connection with a ground lease and various easement agreements for the development of its digital signage
- An industrial owner and operator in connection with a US$11 million preferred equity offering
- A non-traded mortgage REIT in connection with a US$350 million secured corporate term loan financing
- A private equity lender in connection with the origination of a US$30 million mortgage loan secured by a hotel in Orlando
- An institutional bank in connection with a US$100 million commitment for a secured borrowing base revolving loan to a single family housing aggregator
- A hotel owner and operator in connection with the purchase and later sale of an independent hotel in New York City
- An industrial REIT in connection with the origination of a US$250 million unsecured corporate term loan
- An office REIT for the acquisition financing of a class A office building in Seattle
- A private equity fund for a land loan for multifamily development in San Jose, California
- A real estate debt platform in connection with the origination of a US$194 million mortgage and mezzanine loan for a development of a luxury condominium in San Francisco
- A storage REIT in the development and launch of a mortgage and mezzanine lending platform