Kieran Donovan is an associate in the Data & Technology Transactions Practice in the firm’s Hong Kong office.
Mr. Donovan’s experience includes advising clients on
complex cross-border commercial, outsourcing, technology, media, and privacy
matters. Mr. Donovan has a wide range of expertise advising clients from
various sectors, but his principal focus has been on the financial services,
logistics, internet, technology, and entertainment industries.
Alongside a broad specialism in technology and commercial matters, Mr. Donovan advises clients on fintech projects, with expertise advising on joint ventures, collaboration arrangements, and privacy compliance, in connection with the development of disruptive technologies in the financial services and payments space.
Mr. Donovan’s representative transactions include advising:
- A large financial services provider in relation to negotiating a complex €3 billion IT infrastructure outsourcing deal, including negotiation of the transition and transformation elements of the project.
- A global bank on its outsourcing of certain storage services to cloud. This included advising on data privacy and financial services’ regulation across Europe, the US, and Asia.
- A multinational insurance group on the outsourcing of its global facilities management operations.
- An artificial Intelligence-based virtual reality discovery app and marketing platform on its global utility token sale.
- A cryptocurrencies exchange ecosystem on an US equity fundraising by way of a private placement.
- A Korean company on its proposed initial coin offering (ICO), including on the characterization of the tokens under Singapore laws and regulations, formation of a Singapore entity in connection with the ICO, and documentation and compliance procedures.
- An exchange ecosystem that aims to bring cryptocurrencies to everyday retail investors, on the establishment of a crypto brokerage in Hong Kong, crypto exchanges in Hong Kong and Japan, and a crypto hedge fund in Hong Kong.
- Publicly listed China-headquartered technology and internet group on global data privacy compliance for cross-border products, including products across the social media, gaming, cloud, television, and advertising space. This project has included a specific focus on data privacy compliance relating to the EU GDPR as well as across Asia, including Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, Macau, the Philippines, Japan, and India.
- A leading technology company on cross-border data sharing and data breach reporting arrangements in Asia.
- A Hong Kong-based international gaming company with global privacy compliance including the GDPR.
- A leading social media company in China on a complex GDPR compliance project relating to its data center location and storage, as well as its cybersecurity operations.
- A crypto exchange headquartered in Singapore on all aspects of global data privacy compliance, including compliance with the GDPR.
- On transitional, commercial, intellectual property, and data privacy aspects in respect of the acquisition of a multinational education business headquartered in Asia.
- On procurement and commercial supply chain arrangements in connection with a multi-billion dollar securitisation of telecommunications carrier services.
- On complex intellectual property ownership and licensing arrangements in connection with the acquisition of a leading global brand.