Kenneth Chan is a counsel in the Hong Kong office of Latham & Watkins and a member of the Corporate Department.
Mr. Chan has extensive experience in PRC-related mergers and acquisitions, corporate structuring and restructuring, infrastructure and energy projects, regulatory, foreign direct investment, real estate and dispute resolution matters. He regularly advises on licensing, security, investment support, franchising and tax arrangements. Having specialized in PRC-related transactions since 1982, he is experienced in advising on and documenting projects in the financial services, water treatment, petrochemicals, power, oil and gas, telecommunications, logistics, automotive, aviation, media, chemicals, electronics, consumer goods and distribution sectors.
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Chan was a partner in the Hong Kong office of a Magic Circle firm for 14 years.
Mr. Chan was appointed as a China Appointed Attesting Officer in 2006.
Kenneth Chan's representative transactions include advising:
- Repsol YPF, S.A. on its strategic alliance with Sinopec, valued at US$17.773 billion, to jointly develop the projects of Repsol Brasil, its upstream subsidiary in Brazil, creating one of Latin America’s largest energy companies
- A US manufacturer on its co-acquisition of the Asian business of a Southeast Asian listed group through a consortium, the handling of consortium issues between the consortium members and the post-acquisition transfer of the China business to the US manufacturer
- An American multinational corporation on the disposal of its majority stake in an industrial joint venture in central China and settlement of all IP licensing arrangements
- Wall Street Institute on the disposal of Wall Street English, a PRC provider of English language instruction services, to Pearson PLC
- Qatar Investment Authority on term loan facility for Five Dragons Trading Company, a partner with Rainbow, one of the largest grocery store chains in China