Jonathan Strang represents clients in a diverse range of technical industries in patent litigation matters, with a focus on proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB).
Mr. Strang regularly represents plaintiffs and defendants in federal district court, the PTAB, and before the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He serves as Editor-in-Chief of the PTAB Bar Association’s “PTAB Roundup”
newsletter and as Co-Chair of the Association’s Communications Committee.
Before attending law school, Mr. Strang served as an officer in the US Navy Submarine Force where, in addition to his warfare specialty, he was a nuclear and electrical engineer. He then spent six years in the private sector
spearheading numerous hardware and software development projects.
Mr. Strang clerked for Judge Kimberly Moore at the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and Judge Mary Ellen Coster Williams at the US Court of Federal Claims. He earned his JD from the George Mason University School of Law,
where he served as executive editor of the Federal Circuit Bar Journal.
Mr. Strang advises clients in a diverse range of technical industries including:
- Computer hardware and software
- Design and manufacturing
In addition, Mr. Strang provides clients with a wealth of engineering knowledge in the specific areas of:
- User interface design
- Software development
- Electrical and mechanical control systems
- Power generation systems
- Nuclear reactor design and operation
Mr. Strang was recently quoted in:
- “4 Ways Petitioners Botch Their Case At The PTAB,” Law360, March 2016
- “4 Favorites For PTAB’s Top Post,” Law360, January 2016
- “3 Takeaways From First-Ever Fed. Circ. AIA Reversal,” Law360, June 2015
Mr. Strang’s publications and presentations include:
- Co-author, “Strategic Implications of Recent Changes in PTAB Proceedings” Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, September 2019
- Presenter, “Patent Owners at the PTAB Post-SAS Analysis” Intellectual Property Owners Association, May 2018
- Co-author, “PTAB Update: New Motion to Amend Procedures Proposed,” Latham & Watkins Client Alert, October 30, 2018
- Co-author, “USPTO Harmonizes New Claim Construction Standard in PTAB Proceedings,” Latham & Watkins Client Alert, October 2018
- Co-author, “En Banc Federal Circuit Overturns PTAB’s IPR Time-Bar Ruling,” Latham & Watkins Client Alert, August 2018
- Co-author, “Patent Office Issues New Guidance for PTAB Challenges,” Latham & Watkins Client Alert, August 2018
- Co-presenter, “Keeping Tabs on the PTAB” Latham & Watkins Webcast Series, May 2017, August 2017, November 2017, April 2018, and June 2018
- Co-author, “SAS Institute Follow-Up: New PTAB Procedures and Strategies,” Latham & Watkins Client Alert, May 2018
- Co-author, “Supreme Court Rulings Increase the PTAB's Importance,” Latham & Watkins Client Alert, April 2018
- Co-presenter, “The Evolving Scope of IPR Estoppel,” Federal Circuit Bar Association Webcast, March 2018
- Co-presenter, “General Session 2 – Patent Owners and Petitioners Weigh In,” PTAB Bar Association Annual Conference, March 2018