Dr. Jörn Kowalewski has long-standing experience (i) advising stakeholders within complex corporate restructurings, both out of court and within insolvency proceedings, as well as (ii) handling distressed M&A transactions.
Dr. Kowalewski advises distressed investors, lenders, lender groups, and steering committees, as well as the debtors, shareholders, and management in:
- Out-of-court (financial and operational) restructurings
- Distressed M&A transactions
- Debt-to-equity transactions
Dr. Kowalewski enhances his legal advice with an entrepreneurial and pragmatic approach, drawing on his prior experiences running a midsized international trading company and serving as a research fellow at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law.
Accolades and Rankings
Mr. Kowalewski is recommended consistently for restructuring and insolvency in legal directories, including JUVE, IFLR1000, Chambers Europe Germany, The Legal 500 Germany, and Handelsblatt Best Lawyers. Market participants’ feedback on his work includes:
- “Brilliant performance. Worth every Euro. Dr. Jörn Kowalewski saved the restructuring negotiations we had to undergo.” (CEO) … “He’s technically excellent with a pragmatic commercial approach to solve complex, multinational restructuring situations.” (auditor) “A great and knowledgeable guy with a good commercial sense and in-depth knowledge. A joy to work with.” (IFLR1000 2017-2019)
- “Stands out with his ‘entrepreneurial thinking’ and by ‘always being one step ahead and very committed’” … “Clients applaud his ‘creative and solution-oriented way of stakeholder management,’ … ‘It was excellent how he managed the parties.’” (Chambers Europe Germany 2018-2019)
- “Very entrepreneurial”, “great analytical and implementing skills.“ (JUVE 2017-2020)