Jekkie Kim advises healthcare, life sciences, and technology companies and their investors on a range of intellectual property transactional matters. She draws on her background as a medical doctor, and has developed a particular focus on digital health, agricultural technology, and cross-border transactions that involve markets such as China.
Dr. Kim advises clients at all stages, from emerging companies to global market leaders, in sectors including:
- Pharmaceutical and biotechnology
- Digital health
- Agricultural technology
- Medical devices
She helps clients acquire, leverage, and protect the value of their intellectual property rights by advising on transactional matters, including:
- Strategic licensing and collaborations
- Technology transfers
- University spin-outs
- Manufacturing and supply agreements
- Distribution agreements
- Cross-border joint ventures
- Mergers and acquisitions
- IPOs and follow-on offerings
- Venture financings
Dr. Kim brings complementary medical knowledge and experience as well as business perspectives to her legal representations. She is a licensed physician in South Korea and was trained as an intern physician at Seoul National University Hospital and practiced as a primary care physician. She was a member of the Institutional Review Board (IRB) at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH).
She regularly speaks and writes on healthcare, life sciences, and digital health related topics. She is an advisor to the Stanford University SPARK Program that allows Stanford students and professors to generate drug and diagnostic proofs-of-concept for potential commercialization, using academic approaches combined with industry standards.
Dr. Kim also maintains an active pro bono practice, helping clients protect and leverage their intellectual property rights.
Dr. Kim’s representative experience includes advising:
Strategic Intellectual Property Transactions
- Agenus in a US$1.85 billion transaction pursuant to which Gilead received worldwide exclusive rights to Agenus’ cancer drug candidate and exclusive option to license two additional programs
- Senda Biosciences on its entry into a strategic collaboration with Nestlé Health Science for the development of novel nutritional therapies for metabolic conditions, including obesity and glycemia
Joint Ventures and M&A
- Bruin Biometrics on an investment by Arjo AB and an exclusive distribution agreement pursuant to which Arjo will distribute BBI’s pressure ulcer assessment device
- Corvus Pharmaceuticals on its joint venture with Angel Pharmaceuticals to develop and commercialize Corvus’ drug candidates in China
- Pionyr Immunotherapeutics on its sale of 49.9% equity interest to Gilead Sciences for US$275 million, along with an exclusive option to purchase the remainder of Pionyr, in which shareholders may receive up to an additional US$1.47 billion in option exercise fees and future milestone payments