Dr. Harald Selzner is a partner in the Corporate Department in the Düsseldorf office of Latham & Watkins and Co-chair of the Global M&A Practice. He has extensive experience in domestic and cross-border M&A transactions, including corporate restructurings, public takeovers, private equity transactions, carve-outs, minority investments, and joint venture transactions.
He has advised clients such as Allianz, Daimler, E.ON, the German Federal Government, IPIC, Novartis, and Siemens on some of their most significant transactions.
Mr. Selzner is “recommended” for M&A and Corporate Law in JUVE 2016/2017. He was named “Leading Senior Partner for M&A” with clients emphasizing his “constructive negotiations” (JUVE 2015/2016). Other sources describe him as having an “extremely quick grasp,” “one of the top M&A lawyers”, and “a strong negotiator, flexible and resilient” (JUVE 2012/2013). Chambers Europe Germany 2016 ranks Mr. Selzner in Band 1 for Corporate/M&A in Germany and highlights that “Harald Selzner is sought out by a number of DAX 30 clients due to his reputation as an accomplished deal maker” (2015). Interviewees describe Harald Selzner as follows: “really good − a smart guy and someone I like to do business with because he is frank, open and direct. Working with him is always a pleasure,” and “he manages to simplify very complex and difficult issues so that business people, as well as lawyers, can understand them” (Chambers Europe Germany 2014 and 2016). In addition, Mr. Selzner has been recognized and recommended as a leading lawyer for mergers and acquisitions in Germany by IFLR1000, WiWo, Handelsblatt Best Lawyers, The Legal 500 EMEA, Who’s Who Legal, and Kanzleimonitor.de.
Mr. Selzner was a member of the Adam Opel Task Force instituted by the German Federal Government. He is a member of the German Corporate Law Association (VGR), the German-American Lawyer’s Association (DAJV), the mentoring program of Bucerius Law School and an alumni of Harvard Law School Executive Education.
Mr. Selzner’s experience includes, amongst others, advising:
- Allianz in the takeover of Dresdner Bank, in the foundation of Special Risk Insurance and Reinsurance, in the divestiture of a 40% stake in Beiersdorf, in the (indirect) divestiture of ASL and Disko Group and also in the divestiture of Schmalbach-Lubeca and the acquisition of manroland*
- Axel Springer in the (failed) acquisition of ProSiebenSat.1, in the acquisition and restructuring of PIN Group*
- Cerner Corporation on the acquisition of assets of Siemens’ health information technology business unit
- Daimler in a joint venture transaction with T-Online and in connection with post M&A disputes*
- E.ON on various transactions including the divestiture of its Hungarian gas storage and trading business and E.ON Kernkraft in view of the contemplated split-off from E.ON Group
- Funke Mediengruppe in the divestiture of its stake in markt.gruppe/Immowelt AG
- German Federal Government in connection with General Motors and Adam Opel*
- Henkel in the divestiture of its garden care and pet repellents businesses and the sale of its Eastern European Solea business as well as the acquisition of a portfolio of hair care brands (including Pert, Shamtu, Blendax) from Procter & Gamble, and the acquisition of EGI Group
- IPIC on the acquisition of 70% in Ferrostaal, in compliance investigations on Ferrostaal and the subsequent unwinding of the Ferrostaal acquisition*
- Novartis in the (failed) takeover of Aventis; Sandoz in the acquisition of Hexal and of EBEWE Pharma, the divestiture of Arevipharma, and the acquisition of a biosimilar pipeline product from Pfizer*
- RAG-Stiftung in the divestiture of a 25.01% stake in Evonik*
- REpower, amongst others, on a (1,800 MW) hard coal-fired power plant project*
- Siemens in the acquisition of Atecs Mannesmann*
- SPP on the contemplated full ownership unbundling of eustream*
- Tengelmann Group in the divestiture of its supermarket business Kaiser’s Tengelmann and its e-stores business to EDEKA
- Uniper in corporate law matters and in respect of Nord Stream 2
*Completed prior to joining Latham & Watkins