Dr. Georg Weidenbach is a partner in our Frankfurt office and a member of the firm’s Global Antitrust & Competition Practice. He has considerable experience advising clients on European and German antitrust and competition law. In particular, he advises on cartel investigations and related cartel damage claims, merger control, compliance programs and audits, distribution/licensing, and abuse of dominance.
German and international legal directories commend Mr. Weidenbach as a leading lawyer in his field (listed among the best lawyers for antitrust in Germany, Wirtschaftswoche 2018). Sources describe him as “brilliant and bright,” “very knowledgeable and certainly a good name in the market. He does a great job.” The “quick-witted” Mr. Weidenbach is considered to be “one of the best young antitrust lawyers.” He “efficiently explains complex antitrust issues” and is a “notable practitioner.” He also earns praise for his “quick perception,” “skillful handling of sensitive issues,” and “deep knowledge and understanding in vertical antitrust law and sales conception questions.” He is “proactive and it is easy to have confidence in him.” (Handelsblatt Best Lawyers 2018, Chambers Europe Germany 2015 & 2016, The Legal 500 EMEA 2014 & 2016, JUVE 2016/2017).
Mr. Weidenbach has published several textbooks and articles in his field of expertize. He has frequent speaking and teaching engagements on antitrust law (e.g., at the EBS Law School in Wiesbaden). Mr. Weidenbach is also a founder and long-term board member of the antitrust lawyer association for the wider Frankfurt Region.
Representations in cartel proceedings include:
- Nestlé in an investigation by the German Federal Cartel Office regarding food retail
- Global investigations regarding wire harnesses
- German investigation regarding the rail sector
- German investigation regarding the chemical engineering industry
- EC Investigation regarding diesel engines
- Global investigations regarding freight forwarding
- Global investigation regarding automotive parts
- German investigation regarding the petrochemical industry*
In addition, Mr. Weidenbach has been involved in hundreds of merger control proceedings in Germany, the EU, and other jurisdictions, including:
- Actavis' acquisition of Warner Chilcott
- ThyssenKrupp/IDN joint venture
- Clariant and Ashland's sale of ASK Chemicals group
- Hellman & Friedman's sale of FriendScout 24
- Lenovo’s acquisition of Medion
- Acquisition of Tognum by Daimler and Rolls Royce
- Goldman Sachs regarding the Liberty Global/KBW merger
Concerning antitrust damages proceedings, Mr. Weidenbach is active in several high-profile cases, including the defense of cartel members of the
- European pre-stressing steel cartel
- Global freight forwarding cartel
- German rail track cartel
- A global cartel in the healthcare industry
- Multi-jurisdictional cartel in the area of energy supply
With minor exceptions, all of Mr. Weidenbach’s cases in this area have a very significant cross-border element and require close cooperation among several jurisdictions.
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham