Benjamin Lawless is an associate in the Washington, D.C. office of Latham & Watkins where he practices in the Environment, Land & Resource Department. He is also a member of Latham’s Cleantech and Energy – Oil & Gas Industry Groups.
Mr. Lawless’s practice focuses on complex environmental regulatory issues, litigation and transactional support. His experience includes matters involving the Clean Air Act, CERCLA and MARPOL. Mr. Lawless also has experience with:
- Carbon credit agreements
- Renewable energy projects
- Providing environmental transactional support for financing, project development and securities offerings.
While in law school, Mr. Lawless was a member of the Michigan Journal of International Law.
- Co-author, "The Uncertain Future of the Renewable Fuel Standard: Litigation and Regulatory Change in the New Administration," Latham & Watkins Client Alert, May 5, 2017
- Co-author, “National Academy of Sciences Recommends Updated Framework for Social Cost of Carbon Calculations” Latham's Clean Energy Law Report, January 27, 2017
- Co-author, “Court Strikes Down BLM Hydraulic Fracturing Rule,” Latham & Watkins Client Alert, June 23, 2016
- Co-author, “EPA Finalizes Historic Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction Program,” Latham & Watkins Client Alert, August 19, 2015
- Co-author, “The Supreme Court Strikes Down the Mercury and Air Toxics Standards," Latham & Watkins Client Alert, July 1, 2015
- Co-author, “California Agency Releases Draft Rules for Fracking, Begins to Implement Recent State Legislation,” Latham & Watkins Client Alert, November 25, 2013
- Co-author, “BLM Issues Revised Proposed Rule on Hydraulic Fracturing on Federal and Tribal Lands,” Latham & Watkins Client Alert, June 4, 2013
- Co-author, “Bureau of Land Management Issues Proposed Rule Establishing Disclosure and Integrity Requirements for Hydraulic Fracturing on Federal and American Indian Lands,” Latham & Watkins Client Alert, May 25, 2012
- Co-author, “EPA Issues First Air Regulations for Hydraulically-Fractured Gas Wells & Associated O&G Development Equipment,” Latham & Watkins Client Alert, April 26, 2012