Elizabeth Annis is an associate in the Washington, D.C. office of Latham & Watkins. She is a member of the Litigation & Trial Department, where she practices primarily in the firm’s Export Controls, Economic Sanctions & Customs Practice.
Ms. Annis principally counsels clients on compliance with US international trade controls, including economic sanctions regulations administered and enforced by the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), and US export controls. Ms. Annis routinely interfaces with government regulators on behalf of clients, including at OFAC and the US Commerce Department, in connection with trade controls compliance and enforcement matters.
Ms. Annis also advises on internal investigations and risk assessments, develops compliance policies and procedures, and conducts due diligence to identify trade controls risks in connection with mergers and acquisitions and other transactions.
Ms. Annis maintains an active pro bono practice, with a particular focus on advising international humanitarian organizations as they navigate complex regulatory frameworks impacting the delivery of aid, including advising on the application of US sanctions and counterterrorism laws and regulations.
Prior to joining Latham, she was a legal intern in the Executive Office of the President for the Obama Administration, in the Office of the United States Trade Representative.
- Presenter, “Navigating Sanctions and Anti-Terrorism Laws When Delivering Humanitarian Aid,” Latham & Watkins Webcast (September 2019)
- Co-author, “OFAC’s 5 Essential Components of an Effective Sanctions Compliance Program,” Latham & Watkins Client Alert (May 2019)
- Co-author, “10 Things to Know: US Allows Lawsuits Relating to ‘Trafficking’ in Confiscated Property in Cuba,” Latham & Watkins Client Alert (May 2019)
- Co-author, “OFAC Imposes Comprehensive Sanctions on Venezuela's State Oil Company, PdVSA,” Latham & Watkins Client Alert (January 2019)
- Co-author, “OFAC Adds Venezuela Media Company and Others to US Sanctions List,” Latham & Watkins Client Alert (January 2019)
- Co-author, “Top 10 Things to Know About Expanded US Sanctions on Iran,” Latham & Watkins Client Alert (November 2018)
- Elizabeth Annis, Note, “Climate Change and Trade in the Pacific Island Countries: The PACER Plus Agreement,” 47 Geo. J. Int’l Law 1497, 1520 (2016)