May 21, 2021
In their annual GCR Awards, leading antitrust publication Global Competition Review (GCR) honored Latham & Watkins with multiple accolades, including its top individual award: Lawyer of the Year, given to Washington, D.C. partner Amanda Reeves, who serves as Global Chair of Latham’s elite Antitrust & Competition Practice.
In addition, two separate cross-country Latham teams took home the top GCR Award litigation prizes. Critical early victories in an ongoing New York federal antitrust suit filed against US Soccer Federation earned the firm Litigation of the Year – Non-Cartel Defence. Another Latham team’s successful representation of BMW in the federal In re: German Automotive Manufacturers antitrust case was selected as Litigation of the Year – Cartel Defence.
Notably, GCR Award honorees are selected directly by the global antitrust community. GCR editors solicit submissions seeking the year’s most innovative work and top-performing individuals – receiving hundreds of nominations in 2021 – and select a round of Finalists within each category. Winners are then voted on from among these Finalists by thousands of private practitioners, enforcers, academics, and others from across the competition community.
In addition to earning a trio of the most coveted GCR Award prizes, several Latham teams and individuals from around the world were also named as Finalists during the first round of judging:
- Merger Control Matter of the Year – Asia-Pacific, Middle East and Africa: “NVIDIA/Mellanox”
- Litigation of the Year – Cartel Defence: “Olam, Peanut Farmers Antitrust Litigation”
- Behavioural Matter of the Year – Europe: “APIG secures interim measures against Google in France”
- Behavioural Matter of the Year – Europe: “American Airlines and British Airways obtain interim measures from CMA”
- Litigator of the Year: partner and former Chair of Latham’s Antitrust & Competition Practice Christopher Yates
- Lawyer of the Year, Under 40: partner Kelly Fayne
The broad array of lawyers and matters honored this year illustrate Latham’s market-leading experience on the world’s most complex and precedent-setting antitrust matters both locally and across borders, and our lawyers comprehensive knowledge across the major antitrust disciplines of mergers, cartel, and conduct investigations, as well as litigation.