Jenny E. Cieplak advises financial services clients on a range of corporate, intellectual property, and regulatory issues arising in fintech and other technology transactions.
Ms. Cieplak provides broad-based corporate counsel to financial institutions, infrastructure providers, start-ups, and newly created consortiums. She advises clients on collaborative arrangements between users and creators of market infrastructure initiatives designed to transform sectors of the financial industry, including joint development, investment, and governance agreements. Ms. Cieplak’s insights into the process of technology development, the needs of financial industry users as well as the legal issues surrounding the creation of new technologies provide clients with a unique skill set and perspective.
Her work includes advising on:
- Complex joint ventures, including matters focused on entity formation, ownership structure, corporate governance, intellectual property ownership and use, and exit strategies
- Collaborative technology development arrangements, including joint development agreements, the use of open source software, and joint ventures
- The implementation of new technologies, such as blockchain and distributed ledgers, and the development of innovative products, such as virtual currencies and blockchain-based assets
- The technology agreements that are key to a company’s life cycle, from procurement, development, licensing, and hosting arrangements to M&A and exit transactions
- The management of the IP and technology aspects of mergers and acquisitions, financings, capital markets, and other corporate transactions
- The creation, operation, governance, and sale of electronic trading platforms, exchanges, swap execution facilities, clearinghouses, and data repositories