Gavin Masuda is a partner in the San Francisco office of Latham & Watkins and a member of the firm’s Securities Litigation & Professional Liability, White Collar Defense & Investigations, and Complex Commercial Litigation Practices.
Mr. Masuda regularly advises accounting firms, companies, and financial institutions on a range of securities litigation and complex commercial litigation matters, including:
- Civil securities class actions arising under federal and state law
- Actions alleging professional negligence and breach of fiduciary duty
- Shareholder derivative actions
- Internal investigations
- Regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings (including before the SEC and the PCAOB)
- Implementation of regulatory guidance and auditing standards
- Actions involving the alleged misappropriation of trade secrets
Mr. Masuda draws on extensive experience representing Big Four accounting firms and their international affiliates in connection with some of the largest corporate failures, financial frauds, and restatements of the past decade. His recent notable victories include:
- Securing first-ever decision by state trial court enforcing a company’s federal forum selection clause to dismiss state court Section 11 lawsuit (In re Restoration Robotics Securities Litigation)
- Convincing United States Supreme Court to grant petition for writ of certiorari to decide whether PSLRA discovery stay applies in state court (In re Pivotal Securities Litigation)
- Securing successful resolutions on behalf of a Big Four accounting firm of actions arising from recent investment schemes resulting in SEC Receivership actions
Mr. Masuda is an advocate for diversity at Latham and in the legal profession. He is the partner in charge of recruiting for Latham’s San Francisco office, served as Global Leader of Latham’s Asian Lawyers Group, and is active with the California Minority Counsel Program. He has also served on Latham’s Ethics Committee.