David Callahan, Global Chair of Latham & Watkins’ Intellectual Property Practice, represents clients in complex litigation in the areas of patent, trademark, trade secret, false advertising, and unfair competition.
Mr. Callahan represents clients in a range of industries, including medical devices, semiconductors, consumer products, and automotive products. He has particularly significant experience representing medical device and orthopedic manufacturers both as plaintiffs and defendants.
He develops winning strategies for clients based on his more than 25 years of experience as a trial lawyer, litigating bench and jury trials, as well as before the Federal and Seventh Circuit Courts of Appeal.
Leading industry publications regularly recognize Mr. Callahan’s skill and accomplishments in intellectual property. Representative accolades include:
- 2011 – 2019 Chambers USA ranked for work in Intellectual Property
- 2019 Managing Intellectual Property’s Outstanding IP Litigator of the Year in Illinois
- 2018 BTI Consulting Group’s Client Service All-Star List, which recognizes leaders in superior client service identified exclusively by corporate counsel
- 2020 The Best Lawyers in America recognized for work in Litigation-Intellectual Property law
- 2018 The Legal 500 US recommended lawyer for work in Intellectual Property
- 2017 IAM Patent 1000 ranked
- 2014 BTI Consulting Group’s Client Service All-Star List
- 2011 – 2014 The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers listed in the area of patents
- 2012 LMG Life Sciences listed as a star
- 2011 – 2013 America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- 2010 IP Law and Business named as one of the Top 50 Under 45 IP lawyers in the country
- 2005 – 2018 Law and Politics listed as an Illinois Super Lawyer
Mr. Callahan is a board member of Lawyers for the Creative Arts and the Public Interest Law Initiative. He currently serves as a member of the firm’s Recruiting Committee.