Thomas Nolan is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Latham & Watkins and a member of the Litigation & Trial Department.
Mr. Nolan is widely recognized as one of the nation’s leading trial attorneys, and has extensive civil and criminal trial experience representing corporations and individuals in complex litigation in state and federal courts.
Mr. Nolan is a former federal prosecutor and served as Chief of Fraud and Special Prosecutions in the Los Angeles United States Attorney’s Office. He has been a member of the defense bar since 1979.
Mr. Nolan has represented both corporate plaintiffs and defendants across a wide range of complex civil litigation matters including class actions; a wide variety of contract disputes, including a three-month jury trial against 63 insurance carriers; unfair business practices and consumer fraud; as well as antitrust and intellectual property issues. Mr. Nolan is also recognized as a leading lawyer for “first of their kind” trials. His diverse experience was cited by media reports on his arrival at Latham, such as this Bloomberg-BNA Law article.
Mr. Nolan has represented corporations and individuals in criminal DOJ prosecutions and SEC enforcement matters and in internal investigations involving FCPA allegations, securities fraud, money laundering, RICO, healthcare fraud, and insider trading violations.
He leverages extensive trial experience including winning jury verdicts of more than US$1 billion for his clients and defeating claims exceeding US$15 billion asserted against clients.
Mr. Nolan’s representative experience includes the following:
- Lead trial counsel for CashCall in defeating more than US$275 million in restitution and monetary claims sought by the CFPB.
- Served as lead trial counsel representing UBS Real Estate Securities Inc. in a closely watched three-week bench trial conducted in the US District Court, Southern District of New York*
- Served as lead trial counsel representing the home mortgage division of a major bank against class action claims of racial discrimination in mortgage lending*
- Defended Peter Morton in securing a unanimous jury verdict awarding zero damages in a case alleging fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and invasion of privacy*
- Represented the founders of Skype Technologies S.A., with a consortium of private equity and venture capital firms led by Silver Lake, in the US$2.8 billion acquisition of Skype from eBay Inc.*
- Represented Tyco International Ltd. in a litigation in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York brought by holders of US$2.7 billion of notes issued by Tyco*
- Served as lead trial counsel representing the consortium of underwriters of WorldCom Securities in securing a settlement on the eve of jury selection in one of the largest securities class action cases in history*
- Represented Litton Industries in a high-profile monopoly antitrust lawsuit against Honeywell, Inc. in the US District Court for the Central District of California*
*Represents experience from a previous law firm.
Mr. Nolan has served in numerous honorary positions and received numerous accolades over his extensive career, including:
- American College of Trial Lawyers – Fellow
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers – Fellow
- Loyola Marymount University – Board of Regents
- Loyola University School of Law at Los Angeles – Board of Directors
- Loyola University School of Law at Los Angeles – Champion of Justice Award
- Beverly Hills Bar Association – Excellence in Advocacy Award
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers – frequent lecturer
- Federal Bar Association – frequent lecturer
- California Bar Association – Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year
- The Am Law Litigation Daily – Litigator of the Week
Mr. Nolan has been selected for inclusion in Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, and he is one of only 23 attorneys listed in the top tier of national trial attorneys by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, which also ranks him in its top tier for general commercial litigation. In addition, Mr. Nolan has been profiled for 12 different years as one of the Top 100 most influential lawyers in California and as one of the Top 30 Securities Litigators in California by the Daily Journal. He was named Best Lawyers’ 2015 Los Angeles Bet-the-Company Litigation Lawyer of the Year.