Stijn Van Osch advises clients on all aspects of chemical and product regulation in multiple jurisdictions, primarily in the US.
Mr. Van Osch advises chemical and product manufacturers as well as clients throughout the chemical supply chain on chemical regulatory and product stewardship issues. He frequently helps companies and their investors navigate through complex regulatory regimes including:
- Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA)
- Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA)
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- EU Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemical (REACH)
- Consumer Product Safety Act (CPSA)
- Clean Air Act (CAA)
- Clean Water Act (CWA)
- Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR)
He provides compliance counseling on the application of regulations to clients’ products and operations, drafts comments on rulemakings, manages expert witnesses, and provides advice relating to various agencies’ regulations, including:
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Green Guide
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- US Department of Transportation (DOT)
- Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
He also handles chemical regulatory-related litigation and due diligence for corporate transactions.
Mr. Van Osch draws on a career-long focus on environmental and chemical regulation. He has an affinity for science and chemistry, and deftly explains complex chemical concepts within a practical business context.
He maintains an active pro bono practice, including advising The Ocean Cleanup. He previously served as a member of the firm's local Pro Bono Committee.
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Van Osch clerked for Judge Stephen H. Glickman of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals. He served as the managing editor of the Michigan Journal of International Law and authored a Note. He also served as a member of the editorial board of the Utrecht Journal of International and European Law.
Mr. Van Osch’s representative work includes advising:
Chemical Regulatory Matters
- A large automotive company in a business-critical issue concerning whether a chemical (developed and patented jointly by the OEM and the chemical’s manufacturer) was legal under TSCA to import and process in the United States
- A major private equity firm on a substantial acquisition of a chemical company in Europe
- Chemical and product manufacturers, a sports association, and other employers on disinfectant chemicals related to COVID-19 matters
- A chemical manufacturer trade association on product regulatory issues in the US and Europe
- Product manufacturers regarding product marketing claims permitted under various regulatory regimes such as FIFRA and FTC Green Guides
- A major tobacco company in international tobacco litigation
- Various clients in litigation matters related to interstate water rights disputes and coal plant arbitration