Sean T. Wheeler is a partner in the Houston office of Latham & Watkins and Co-Chair of the Oil & Gas Industry Group. His practice focuses on securities offerings, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate governance matters for companies in the energy industry including master limited partnerships.
In 2016, Sean Wheeler advised on over 29 issuer and underwriter representations, more than any other Texas-based partner.
Mr. Wheeler has been recognized in multiple publications including Chambers USA 2013-2016 as one of the leading lawyers in Texas in the practices of Corporate/M&A and Capital Markets: Debt & Equity, Law360 as an MVP of Energy 2013,The Legal 500 US 2012-13 for his energy industry focused transactions, and Texas Monthly and Law and Politics 2010-2013 as a Texas Super Lawyer. He has also received recognition by The Legal 500 2016 as one of the Tier 1 recommended lawyers in the US in the practice of Energy: Transactions - Oil & Gas as well as in The Best Lawyers in America for Corporate Governance, Corporate Law, M&A Law, Securities, and Capital Markets Law 2008-2015. He was named Dealmaker of the Year in 2015 as well as Dealmaker of the Week both in June 2011 and May 2012 in The Am Law Daily. In 2015 he was also recognized in Best Lawyers as one of the 2015 Lawyers of the Year for Securities and Capital Markets Law.
Representative M&A transactions include:
- Ensco plc – US$863 billion all-stock acquisition of Atwood Oceanics, Inc.
- Rowan Companies, Inc. – joint venture with Saudi Arabian Oil Company
- Weatherford International Ltd. – US$1 billion joint venture with Schlumberger, to create OneStim
- Rice Energy Inc. – US$2.7 billion acquisition of Vantage Energy, LLC
- BreitBurn Energy Partners L.P. – US$3 billion acquisition of QR Energy, LP
- Athlon Energy Inc. – US$7.1 billion sale to Encana Corporation
- LinnCo LLC – US$4.3 billion acquisition of Berry Petroleum Co.
- Plains Exploration & Production Company – US$9 billion acquisition by Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. of Plains Exploration & Production Company and McMoRan Exploration Company
- Plains Exploration & Production Company – US$450 million sale of a 20% interest in Plains Offshore Operations, Inc., the US-based Gulf of Mexico assets of Plains Exploration & Production Company
- Energy Transfer Partners LP – US$5.3 billion acquisition of Sunoco Inc.
- Energy Transfer Equity, L.P. – US$9.2 billion acquisition of Southern Union Company
- Rowan Companies, Inc. – US$1.1 billion sale of LeTourneau Technologies to Joy Global, Inc.
- K-Sea Transportation Partners L.P. – US$600 million sale to Kirby Corporation
Representative Capital Markets transactions include:
- 22 IPOs since January 1, 2013
- Underwriters – US$413 million initial public offering of WildHorse Resources, Inc.
- Underwriters – US$728 million initial public offering of Extraction Oil & Gas, Inc.
- VTTI Energy Partners LP – US$422 million initial public offering
- Underwriters – US$818 million initial public offering of Eclipse Resources Corporation
- Underwriters – US$192.5 million initial public offering of Seadrill Partners LLC
- Rowan Companies, Inc. – US$500 million senior notes offering
- Underwriters – US$175 million senior notes offering of Matador Resources Company
- Underwriters – US$500 million senior notes offering of EP Energy LLC
- Underwriters – US$3 billion senior notes offering of Anadarko Petroleum Corporation
- Underwriters – US$500 million senior notes offering of Western Gas Partners, LP
- Weatherford International Ltd. – numerous debt and equity offerings