Peter Knight, a partner in the Restructuring, Insolvency & Workouts Practice, brings nearly two decades of experience and insight to clients in a wide variety of out-of-court restructurings and bankruptcy proceedings.
Mr. Knight regularly represents distressed investors and debt holders at all levels of the capital structure, with a focus on representing secured creditor groups and agents/indenture trustees.
Mr. Knight has particular experience helping clients minimize cost, delay, and risk by developing and implementing out-of-court restructuring strategies, including:
- Strict foreclosures
- Receivership proceedings
- Assignments for the benefit of creditors
- Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) sales
- Exchange offers
- Rights offerings
- Comprehensive restructuring amendments in the absence of full lender support
He has led engagements in a broad range of industries, with particular experience in hospitality/restaurants, gaming, industrials/manufacturing, oil & gas (including oilfield services), and healthcare.
Mr. Knight serves as a Global Co-Chair of Latham’s Restructuring, Insolvency & Workouts Practice and as Chair of the Chicago office’s Finance Department, which includes the Restructuring, Banking, Project Finance, and Real Estate Practices.
Mr. Knight has represented a wide range of global financial institutions, investment funds, and middle market direct lenders, including:
- Antares Capital
- Ares Capital Management
- BNP Paribas
- Capital One
- Catalyst Capital
- Corbin Capital Partners
- D.E. Shaw and its renewable energy investment fund, DESRI
- Franklin Templeton
- Freeport Financial
- General Electric
- Goldman Sachs
- Golub Capital
- JP Morgan Chase
- Monroe Capital
- NXT Capital
- Royal Bank of Canada
- Stark Investments
- Wayzata Investment Partners
Mr. Knight has represented individual holders, agents, indenture trustees, ad hoc lender groups, and distressed buyers in numerous bankruptcy cases, including: Fox & Hound/Champps Restaurants (a/k/a Legend Parent), Halcón Resources, Majestic Star Casino, M*Modal, Quebecor World, Real Mex Restaurants, SunEdison, Toys ‘R’ Us, Vantage Drilling, and Westinghouse.
In addition to his active restructuring practice, Mr. Knight dedicates significant time to various pro bono initiatives, including:
- Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Settlement Assistance Program (representing indigent plaintiffs in settlement conferences)
- LEARN Charter School District (Latham serves as outside counsel)
- Cook County Domestic Violence Legal Clinic (representing victims)
- Texas DNA Mixture Review Project (reviewing case files for innocent victims of flawed DNA testing)
- National Veterans Legal Services Program (assisting military veterans obtain disability benefits)