Nozomi Oda is a partner in Latham & Watkins Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise in Tokyo. Ms. Oda’s practice encompasses cross-border public and private M&A transactions, joint ventures, strategic investments, and capital markets transactions. Ms. Oda is the Local Chair of the Corporate Department in Tokyo.
Ms. Oda regularly advises on a wide variety of Japanese regulations, including securities regulations, financial regulations, fund regulations, merger review, and healthcare and life sciences regulations. From 2009 to 2011, Ms. Oda was seconded to the Financial Services Agency of Japan (FSA) as a deputy director of the corporate disclosure department.
Ms. Oda is admitted to practice in Japan and New York and is a member of the Daiichi Tokyo Bar Association.
Ms. Oda’s experience includes representing:
- Daiichi Sankyo Co., Ltd. (Japan) in its US$6.9 billion global development and commercialization agreement with AstraZeneca for Daiichi Sankyo’s lead antibody drug conjugate, [fam-] trastuzumab deruxtecan (DS-8201)
- Shandong Ruyi Investment Holding (China) in its acquisition of the Apparel & Advanced Textiles business of INVISTA, a producer of chemical intermediates, polymers, and fibers
- Nestlé S.A. (Switzerland) in its acquisition of a majority stake in Blue Bottle Coffee
- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. (Japan) in its establishment of a strategic alliance with Mitsubishi Motors Corporation and the related US$2.3 billion acquisition by Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. of 34% of the shares in Mitsubishi Motors Corporation
- Cognizant Technology Solutions (United States) in its acquisition of Brilliant Service Co. Ltd., a Japan-based company engaged in digital strategy, product designing and engineering, the Internet of Things (IoT), and enterprise mobility
- Platinum Equity (United States) in its two-step divestiture of Mactac, a global pressure-sensitive materials business, Avery Dennison Corporation, and LINTEC Corporation
- Callaway Golf Company (United States) in its joint venture with TSI Groove & Sports to form Callaway Apparel K.K., a Japan-based retailer of apparel, footwear, and headwear
- Siemens AG (Germany) in its US$970 million acquisition of CD-adapco, a developer of computer-aided engineering applications, including computational fluid dynamics, solid mechanics, and heat transfer
- C.R. Bard (United States) in its acquisition from Kobayashi Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. of the remaining 50% stake in Medicon, a Japan-based distributor of medical equipment, that the company did not previously own
- Starbucks Corporation (United States) in its acquisition, by way of a two-step tender process, of the remaining 60.5% share of Starbucks Coffee Japan, Ltd. that the company did not previously own
Wikia, Inc. (United States) in its formation of a Japanese joint venture with Digital Garage, Inc. and other investors
- Pharmaceutical Product Development (United States) in its joint venture with Shin Nippon Biomedical Laboratories to form PPD-SNBL, which will provide a full range of clinical development services in Japan
- Intuitive Surgical, Inc. (United States) in the termination of its distribution agreement with Adachi Co., Ltd., a Japanese distributor, and the formation of Japanese sales, marketing, and training functions for the da Vinci Surgical System, a robotic-assisted, minimally invasive surgery procedure
- Corning Incorporated (United States) in its US$700 million Japanese yen denominated senior notes offering
- The underwriters in a Regulation S exchange offer with respect to outstanding senior notes issued by SoftBank Group Corporation
- The underwriters in a Regulation S offering of US$2.52 billion of senior notes by SoftBank Group Corporation
- The underwriters in a Regulation S offering of US$5.9 billion of senior notes by SoftBank Group Corporation
- The underwriters in a Regulation S offering of US$4.4 billion of senior notes by SoftBank Group Corporation
- Financial institutions in their capital markets and equity derivatives transactions
- Offshore funds on Japanese regulatory and compliance issues related to marketing and management of offshore investment products