Michael Lacovara, a highly accomplished trial lawyer, is a partner in the Litigation & Trial Department of Latham & Watkins' New York and London offices and a member of the Antitrust & Competition and Complex Commercial Litigation Practices.
Mr. Lacovara's practice focuses on antitrust, securities, and complex commercial disputes, representing clients across a range of industries, including global enterprises in the financial services, technology, and resource sectors. Mr. Lacovara has extensive experience in both internal and government investigations and in the strategic planning and prosecution or defense of multi-jurisdictional and multi-forum litigation. Having served as national and global coordinating counsel for numerous strategic litigations and drawing on almost 30 years of legal, banking, and management experience, he helps clients solve their most pressing global challenges and realize strategic opportunities.
In February 2017, The American Lawyer named Mr. Lacovara among its Lateral All-Stars of 2016, which highlighted the most notable and intriguing moves by attorneys to new law firms during the past year.
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Lacovara was founding CEO and President of a securities trading and investment banking firm that was a portfolio company of private equity firm Warburg Pincus. Mr. Lacovara also served as CEO of a Nasdaq-listed financial services company, leading both its public capital raising and completing multiple acquisitions; and as a partner, general counsel, and Co-COO of a full-service investment bank focused on financial services companies. As a banker, Mr. Lacovara advised on a wide range of M&A and corporate finance transactions and regularly counselled special committees of boards of directors on various strategic transactions.
Mr. Lacovara’s recent experience includes representing:
- A major global automobile manufacturer in multidistrict antitrust litigation alleging participation in a broad-ranging conspiracy to suppress innovation in technological development of cars and light duty trucks
- A major global automobile manufacturer in class action litigation alleging RICO and other claims stemming from the alleged maintenance of undisclosed emissions "defeat devices"
- A global generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in connection with ongoing multidistrict antitrust litigation and investigations regarding the pricing of a range of generic pharma products
- A national central bank in connection with the development of a new competition regulatory and enforcement regime for the financial services sector
- A wide range of US and European banks, asset managers, and other financial market participants in connection with ongoing competition-related counseling, as well as pending or prospective enforcement action in respect of alleged anticompetitive behavior across a number of equities, fixed income, and other financial product markets
- HSBC in connection with multiple multi-district class actions related to alleged price fixing and manipulation in connection with establishment of the daily spot price for gold, silver, platinum, and palladium*
- Atmel Corporation, a global semiconductor manufacturer, in the dismissal, affirmed on appeal, of all claims in RICO litigation related to plant closings and other actions in France*
- Hachette Book Group in multiple actions related to alleged anticompetitive conduct with respect to the pricing and distribution of eBooks*
- Foster Wheeler AG (a foreign-based US issuer) in connection with multiple state and federal class actions filed in response to the announced merger of Foster Wheeler with AMEC plc*
- A global agricultural chemicals manufacturer in an ICC arbitration in London in connection with the alleged breach of a services contract*
- A global chemicals manufacturer, as the claimant in an ICC arbitration in London, the plaintiff in a civil action for fraud in US federal court in Pennsylvania, and the plaintiff in collateral proceedings in Poland*
- Formula 1 racing and its majority owner, CVC Capital Partners, in US litigation related to ongoing actions in the United Kingdom and that concerns the rightful ownership of Formula*
- An aerospace and oilfield services corporation in connection with alleged securities fraud arising the timing of the announcement of accounting charges*
- Microsoft Corporation, as trial and appellate counsel in United States v. Microsoft and as national counsel in follow-on class actions in state and federal courts across the United States*
- Goldman Sachs in multi-district litigation and parallel Securities and Exchange Commission and Department of Justice investigations regarding alleged price fixing in the Nasdaq Stock Market*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham