Laura Washington is a partner in the Litigation & Trial Department and Entertainment Sports & Media Practice. She focuses her practice on complex commercial litigation and intellectual property litigation, including copyright and trademark.
Ms. Washington represents clients in a range of intellectual property and complex business disputes. Her wide-ranging litigation experience includes both trial and appellate work. She has extensive motion and discovery experience, and has conducted internal investigations, taken and defended numerous depositions, negotiated settlements, and successfully argued motions in state and federal courts.
In addition to her litigation practice, Ms. Washington frequently consults on Entertainment, Sports & Media transactional matters, with a view to limiting clients’ potential litigation or exposure.
Ms. Washington also serves on the Board of Directors of the California Bar Foundation whose mission is to increase diversity, equity, and inclusion in the California legal profession. The foundation provides scholarships to diverse law students to further this mission.
Prior to joining Latham & Watkins, Ms. Washington was a member of the trial team that successfully defended AEG Live, a concert promotion company, in a six-month wrongful death trial brought by Michael Jackson’s family. The resulting verdict was named one of the 10 most significant defense verdicts of the year by the nation’s leading legal journals.*
Ms. Washington’s experience also includes advising and representing:
- A film distribution and production company in a successful motion to dismiss and resolution of a copyright infringement action
- A digital marketing and advertising company in a successful opposition to a high-stakes and high-profile preliminary injunction and resolution of a false advertising and tortious inference action
- A film distribution and production company in a successful motion to dismiss and resolution of an unjust enrichment and declaratory relief action
- A non-profit company in a fraud and breach of contract action
- A media company in various copyright and trademark matters
- A talent and literary agency
- A motion picture studio in a copyright infringement matter
- A film distributor in tort and complex contract litigation
- A client in the pre-publication review of a literary novel
- A national package delivery company in more than 50 putative class actions consolidated in the Northern District of Indiana*
- One of the world's leading sports and entertainment presenters in tort and complex contract litigation*
- A motion picture production company in major contract dispute*
In addition, Ms. Washington served as lead trial counsel in the successful prosecution of DUI trials on behalf of the local City Attorney's Office.*
*Represents experience from a previous law firm