Laura Washington is an associate in the Litigation & Trial Department. She focuses her practice on complex commercial litigation, particularly in the entertainment and media industry.
Ms. Washington represents clients in a range of intellectual property disputes including copyright infringement and trademark infringement. Her wide-ranging litigation experience includes trial and appellate work, motion practice and discovery in state and federal courts.
In addition to her litigation practice, Ms. Washington consults with members of the Entertainment, Sports & Media Practice on transactional matters, with a view to limiting clients’ potential litigation or exposure.
Prior to joining Latham & Watkins, Ms. Washington was part of a team that successfully defended a concert promotion company against a multi-billion dollar wrongful death lawsuit brought by an international pop superstar’s mother and children. She was heavily involved in developing the winning strategy during the five-month jury trial, one of the most high-profile entertainment matters during the time. Ms. Washington was also involved in jury selection, witness preparation and several key witness examinations during the trial.
Ms. Washington’s experience also includes representing:
- A motion picture studio in a copyright infringement matter
- A film distributor in tort and complex contract litigation
- A client in the pre-publication review of a literary novel
- A national package delivery company in more than 50 pending putative class action lawsuits in 42 states*
- One of the world's leading sports and entertainment presenters in tort and complex contract litigation*
- A motion picture production company in major contract dispute*
In addition, Ms. Washington served as lead trial counsel in the successful prosecution of DUI trials on behalf of the local City Attorney's Office.*
*Represents experience from a previous law firm