Kazuko Ali is an associate in the Tokyo office of Latham & Watkins. Ms. Ali's practice focuses on banking, project development and project finance, particularly in the energy sector.
Prior to joining Latham, Ms. Ali worked as an associate in the project finance group of a large international law firm in Tokyo, and has experience acting as both sponsor and lender counsel on multi-sourced financings.
Ms. Ali's experience includes representing:
- Export credit agencies and commercial bank lenders in the US$3.35 billion project financing of the 2x1,000 MW Tanjung Jati B 5 & 6 coal-fired power project expansion in Central Java, Indonesia*
- Pharmaceutical Product Development in its joint venture with Shin Nippon Biomedical Laboratories to form PPD-SNBL, which will provide a full range of clinical development services in Japan*
- Export credit agencies, commercial banks and underwriters in connection with the US$7 billion project financing of the Cameron LNG project in the USA sponsored by Sempra Energy, GDF Suez, Mitsui & Co, Mitsubishi Corp. and Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha*
- Export credit agencies in connection with the proposed financing for the development of the Al-Karaana petrochemical project in Qatar*
- Sponsors in connection with the US$20 billion financing and development of the off-shore Ichthys LNG Project in Western Australia* †
- Export credit agencies and commercial lenders in connection with the financing of the Nghi Son Refinery and Petrochemical Project in Vietnam* †
- Lenders in connection with the financing of an independent power project in Nong Saeng district, Thailand* †
- JBIC and the commercial lenders in various matters in connection with the financing made available to support the acquisition by Mitsui / Tokyo Gas of power assets in Mexico from Gas Natural Internacional* †
- JBIC and Citibank on the US$122.4 million financing of three new Japanese built dry bulk vessels purchased by Safe Bulkers shipping company* †
- JBIC and the commercial lenders in connection with the financing of various LNG tankers used for the transportation of LNG from Oman* †
* Matter handled under the supervision of Bengoshi or Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi.
†Matter handled prior to joining the firm.