Julie Marion is a partner in the Tax Department of Latham & Watkins, where she concentrates on advising clients on joint venture investments, business acquisitions and related financing matters.
Ms. Marion devotes a significant amount of her practice to structuring and advising on tax and related business aspects of enterprises using pass-through structures, including start-up ventures, restructured companies, portfolio company investments, real estate investments and investment funds. Ms. Marion also has significant experience representing public and privately-owned companies and buyout firms in connection with tax-free and taxable corporate mergers and acquisitions and leveraged buyouts. She regularly advises on acquisition-related financings, as well as securities offerings.
Ms. Marion has substantial experience in the energy sector and related project finance matters. She routinely advises clients on the federal tax incentives available for renewable energy and other clean technologies and has considerable experience representing developers and lenders in connection with the financing of renewable energy projects.
Ms. Marion chairs the Special Partnership Issues Subcommittee of the American Bar Association (ABA) Tax Section’s Partnerships & LLC Committee.
Recent speaking engagements include:
- "Collateral Consequences of Proposed Regulations under Section 752" at the ABA Tax Section Meeting (2014)
- "Ricky Risk of Loss and Disguised Sale Proposed Regulations" at the ABA Tax Section Meeting (2014)
- "Structuring Considerations in Taxable Acquisitions/Dispositions" at the IIT Chicago-Kent Federal Tax Institute (2014)
- "Is Your Partner Under the Boardwalk?” at the ABA Tax Section Meeting (2013)
- Domestic Reorganizations: Day-to-Day Dealings with Subchapter C” at the Tax Executives Institute Chicago Chapter Meeting (2012)
- “Hola, Ni Hao, Shalom — Say Hello to Your Foreign Partner” at the ABA Tax Section Meeting (2012)