Jonathan Castelan, a partner in Latham & Watkins’ Houston office and a member of the firm’s Corporate Department, focuses his practice on acquisitions, divestitures, and strategic joint ventures involving upstream and midstream energy assets, as well as EPC projects.
Mr. Castelan’s practice includes advising clients on joint development arrangements, farmout and participation agreements, and other joint venture arrangements, the acquisition and divestiture of upstream and midstream oil and gas assets and companies, EPC projects, and oil and gas financing transactions.
Mr. Castelan’s representative experience includes advising the following clients:
- Represented an independent oil and natural gas company in its crude gathering agreement with Taproot Energy Partners LLC involving a substantial dedication in central Weld County, Colorado
- Macquarie in Supply and Offtake Agreement in connection with petrochemical products that involved storage of crude supply as well as storage of resulting petrochemical products*
- Trafigura in its approximately US$200 million joint venture with Infraestructura Energética Nova, S.A.B. de C.V. (IEnova) to develop a refined products terminal and storage facility in Manzanillo, Colima, Mexico*
- Salt Creek Midstream, a midstream partnership between Ares Management, L.P. and ARM Energy Holdings, LLC, in debt and equity financing matters*
- Bonanza Creek Energy, Inc. (NYSE: BCEI), an independent oil and natural gas company, in its gathering and processing agreement with midstream company Cureton Front Range LLC to provide an independent gas processor connected directly to Bonanza Creek’s Rocky Mountain Infrastructure*
- Development Capital Resources, LLC, an Ares Management, L.P. (Ares) portfolio company, in its US$750 million investment for common and preferred equity in a joint venture with California Resources Corporation (CRC) to operate midstream infrastructure assets and related purchase by Ares in a private placement of US$50 million of CRC common stock*
- Warburg Pincus/RimRock Oil & Gas Williston, LLC in its US$500 million acquisition of non-operated upstream assets in the Bakken Shale from Whiting Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: WLL)*
- GSO/Sequel Energy Group LLC in its formation of a US$325 million drilling partnership to develop domestic unconventional resources in the Utica Shale with Eclipse Resources Corp. (NYSE: ECR)*
- Alberta Investment Management Company in its commitment to fund, along with a syndicate of financial sponsors, Howard Midstream Energy Partners LLC’s strategic partnership with WPX Energy (NYSE:WPX) to develop crude oil and natural gas gathering and processing infrastructure in the Delaware Basin*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham.