Jon Holland is a partner in the London office of Latham & Watkins and a member of the firm’s Litigation & Trial Practice. Mr. Holland has nearly 30 years' experience advising banks and other financial institutions on a variety of high-profile disputes and investigations.
Mr. Holland has advised clients in numerous significant proceedings, including matters affecting the wider financial sector. He has also guided clients through various headline investigations including LIBOR, FX, precious metals, and SSA bonds. He has represented clients regularly before key authorities in the UK, the US, and across Europe including the FCA, SFO, DOJ, SEC, and CFTC. He has experience advising in the areas of anti-money laundering and economic sanctions.
Mr. Holland is a solicitor advocate in the UK and is also qualified in Hong Kong and Australia (ACT). He practiced in Hong Kong for almost four years.
Mr. Holland is recognized in major legal guides as a leading banking litigator. Chambers & Partners praise Mr. Holland for his “client-minded and efficient” approach and regard him as a “leading authority in landmark banking disputes.”
Mr. Holland’s representative experience includes:
- Advising one of the banks involved in the international investigation into aspects of trading in SSA bonds*
- Advising one of the banks involved in the international investigation into aspects of precious metals trading*
- Advising one of the banks involved in the international investigations into alleged manipulation of LIBOR submissions, culminating in simultaneous settlements with the FCA, DOJ, and CFTC*
- Office of Fair Trading v Abbey National plc and others – whether charges associated with temporary overdrafts are assessable for fairness under the UTCCRs (the "bank charges" litigation)*
- Office of Fair Trading v Lloyds TSB Bank plc – whether a creditor's liability under s75 CCA 1974 extends to transactions abroad*
- HM Commissioners of Customs & Excise v Barclays Bank PLC – whether a third party served with a freezing order owes a duty of care to the applicant*
*Matters handled prior to joining Latham