Jon Holland, solicitor advocate, advises financial institutions from around the world on significant disputes and investigations often involving multiple jurisdictions.
Mr. Holland draws on more than three decades of experience advising banks, private equity firms, investment managers, exchanges, multilaterals, and other financial institutions on their highest-profile disputes and investigations to deliver the best possible outcomes for clients. His work includes the headline investigations into LIBOR, FX, precious metals, and SSA bonds involving multiple authorities in the UK, the US, and Europe, including the UK Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), the UK Serious Fraud Office (SFO), the US Department of Justice (DOJ), the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) — with a particular focus on major transatlantic matters.
A pragmatic and commercially driven strategist, Mr. Holland helps clients resolve disputes and investigations efficiently and cost-effectively. He is a shrewd negotiator, able to identify the quickest route to a resolution. But if a trial is inevitable, Mr. Holland leverages his vast experience before the courts at all levels, including the Supreme Court, to maximize the prospects of success.
As well as the UK, Mr. Holland is qualified to practice in Hong Kong and Australia (ACT).
- Leading Litigator – Banking
Chambers UK 2020
- “It's hard to think of a better banking litigator than Jon Holland.”
“The ‘astute, wily’ Jon Holland specialises in ‘complicated and high profile disputes and contentious regulatory issues, particularly with a multi-jurisdictional element, and has a strong track record advising retail and investment banks, asset managers, and other financial institutions.’”
The Legal 500 UK 2020
- “A seasoned litigator”
Chambers UK 2020
- “Well regarded for his expertise in contentious regulatory matters in the financial sector”
“Frequently sought out to handle landmark cases on behalf of an enviable client base”
“One of the best litigators in the London Market”
“Very smart and quite an aggressive litigator but that aggression is well directed and tends to be very effective”
Chambers UK 2019
Mr. Holland’s representative experience includes advising:
- One of the banks involved in the international investigations into alleged manipulation of LIBOR submissions, culminating in simultaneous settlements with the FCA, DOJ, and CFTC*
- One of the banks involved in the international investigation into precious metals trading*
- One of the banks involved in the international investigation into SSA bonds*
- Lloyds Banking Group in the “bank charges” litigation over whether charges associated with temporary overdrafts were assessable for fairness under the UTCCRs (Office of Fair Trading v Abbey National plc and others)*
*Matters handled prior to joining the firm