Jennifer Yoo is counsel in the Los Angeles office of Latham & Watkins and is a member of the firm’s Health Care and Life Sciences Practice, focusing on mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, affiliations, and various other transactional and regulatory matters involving healthcare and life sciences clients.
Ms. Yoo counsels clients on a wide range of healthcare regulatory and transactional matters, including:
- Fraud and abuse
- Facility, provider, and HMO licensing
- Self-referral issues
- Government program reimbursement compliance
- Integrated delivery systems and other healthcare providers
Ms. Yoo’s clients include both nonprofit and investor-owned health systems and hospitals, managed care entities and health plans, physician practices, provider organizations, and life sciences companies.
Ms. Yoo is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association and the American Bar Association Health Law Section.
Ms. Yoo has experience in a wide variety of healthcare provider transactions, including:
- Structuring multi-entity healthcare joint ventures
- Mergers, acquisitions, and affiliations involving health facilities, medical foundations, and physician organizations
- Formation of care management organizations, e.g., ACOs, CINs, IPAs, and other provider networks
Ms. Yoo also advises on the assessment of regulatory compliance risks for financial interests such as underwriters, venture capital groups, and private equity firms investing in healthcare companies.
Representative matters include:
- US$4.9 billion acquisition of DaVita Medical Group, the dialysis provider DaVita, Inc.’s medical unit, by UnitedHealth’s Optum, which operates the non-insurance portions of UnitedHealth’s business, including primary and secondary care
- US$250 million securities offering by Molina Healthcare Inc., a health maintenance organization that provides Medicaid plans in 11 states
- US$600 million securities offering by WellCare Health Plans, Inc., a leading managed care service company offering Medicaid, Medicare Advantage, and Medicare Prescription Drug Plans in almost all 50 states
Ms. Yoo also has experience in providing litigation support for healthcare related matters, such as white collar, government investigations, internal investigations, compliance audits, and voluntary disclosures.