Isuru Devendra is an associate in the London office of Latham & Watkins and a member of the firm’s International Arbitration and Public International Law Practices.
Mr. Devendra acts for clients in investor-State and international commercial arbitrations and advises on public international law matters. His international arbitration experience includes representing States, State-owned entities, and companies in a range of industry sectors, including mining, energy, industrial, manufacturing, technology, and media, in disputes arising under investment treaties, free-trade agreements, national investment laws, and joint-venture agreements, and proceedings conducted under major arbitral rules including, ICSID, UNCITRAL, ICC, LCIA, and SIAC arbitration rules.
Mr. Devendra’s public international law experience includes advising States, State organs, international organisations, NGOs, and private entities on matters involving privileges and immunities of States, State officials and international organisations, maritime boundary changes and disputes, the right of self-determination, secession of entities, statehood, international labour law, international criminal law, and the design of bespoke international dispute resolution regimes.
He is the deputy secretary of the Asia-Pacific Forum for International Arbitration and the author/co-author of a number of articles and book chapters on international arbitration.
Mr. Devendra’s experience includes representing/advising:
- Ipek Investment Limited in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Turkey
- Ukraine in an ICSID arbitration commenced by Gilward Investments BV, an alleged investor in the aviation sector
- Cortec Mining Kenya Ltd and its affiliates in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Kenya*
- Kingsgate Consolidated Ltd and Kingsgate Capital Pty Ltd in an ad hoc arbitration against the Kingdom of Thailand*
- Oleovest Pte Ltd in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Indonesia*
- PNG Sustainable Development Program Ltd in an ICSID arbitration against the Independent State of Papua New Guinea*
International Commercial Arbitration
- An international oil company in an LCIA arbitration against another international oil company concerning a dispute under a share purchase agreement
- A UK company in an ad hoc arbitration against an Indian company concerning a dispute under a joint venture agreement in the automotive manufacturing sector
- An Asian State-owned entity in relation to contractual claims with a Netherlands incorporated entity
- A Mauritian mining company in an ICC arbitration concerning a joint venture dispute with the national mining company of an African State*
- A US media conglomerate in a SIAC arbitration against its Indian joint venture partner*
Public International Law
- A State on matters related to privileges and immunities of State officials
- A State on matters related to diplomatic immunity
- A State on matters related to self-determination, secession, and statehood
- A State on matters related to an International Criminal Court arrest warrant
- A central bank on matters related to state immunity
- A central bank on foreign investment protections and the right to regulate
- An international organisation in respect of immunities
- An international humanitarian NGO on matters related to international labour law and international refugee law
- A consortium of international oil companies in a dispute on maritime boundaries and resulting tax changes following the discovery of a group of small islands in the area of a gas field*
- An international oil company in relation to offshore oil and gas assets affected by a maritime boundary dispute and related proceedings under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS)*
- An Australian oil and gas company on legal implications resulting from a maritime boundary dispute*
- An international oil company on international law matters arising in connection with a major cross-border oil project*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham