Isuru Devendra is an associate in the London office of Latham & Watkins and a member of the firm’s International Arbitration and Public International Law Practices.
Mr. Devendra acts for clients in investor-State and international commercial arbitrations and advises on a range of public international law matters. His international arbitration experience includes representing clients in a range of industry sectors, including mining, energy, industrial, manufacturing, technology, and media. This experience includes representing States, State-owned entities and companies in disputes arising under investment treaties, free-trade agreements, national investment laws, and joint-venture agreements and proceedings conducted under major arbitral rules including, ICSID, UNCITRAL, ICC, LCIA, and SIAC arbitration rules.
Mr. Devendra’s public international law experience includes advising States, international organisations, NGOs and companies on matters involving maritime boundary changes and disputes, state immunity, self-determination, secession, statehood, international labor law, and the design of bespoke international dispute resolution regimes.
He is the Deputy Secretary of the Asia-Pacific Forum for International Arbitration and the author/co-author of a number of articles and book chapters on international arbitration and international law.
Mr. Devendra’s experience includes advising:
- A UK investor in an ICSID arbitration against a Middle Eastern State
- Ukraine in an ICSID arbitration commenced by Gilward Investments BV, an alleged investor in the aviation sector
- Cortec Mining Kenya Ltd and its affiliates in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Kenya*
- Kingsgate Consolidated Ltd and Kingsgate Capital Pty Ltd in an ad hoc arbitration against the Kingdom of Thailand*
- Oleovest Pte Ltd in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Indonesia*
- PNG Sustainable Development Program Ltd in an ICSID arbitration against the Independent State of Papua New Guinea*
- An international oil company in an LCIA arbitration against another international oil company concerning a dispute under a share purchase agreement
- An Asian State-owned entity in relation to contractual claims with a Netherlands incorporated entity
- A Mauritian mining company in an ICC arbitration concerning a joint venture dispute with the national mining company of an African State*
- A US media conglomerate in a SIAC arbitration against its Indian joint venture partner*
- A State on matters related to self-determination, secession and statehood
- An international humanitarian NGO on matters related to international labour law and international refugee law
- A consortium of international oil companies in a dispute on maritime boundaries and resulting tax changes following the discovery of a group of small islands in the area of a gas field*
- An international oil company in relation to offshore oil and gas assets affected by a maritime boundary dispute and related proceedings under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS)*
- An Australian oil and gas company on legal implications resulting from a maritime boundary dispute*
- An international oil company on international law matters arising in connection with a major cross-border oil project*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham