Gene Elrod advises domestic and international energy companies on their most complex regulatory matters and related commercial issues.
Drawing on several decades of experience in government and private practice, Mr. Elrod represents owners of energy assets across the oil, natural gas, and power sectors. His clients have included a diverse mix of producers, pipelines, storage and local distribution companies, electric utilities and other participants in wholesale power markets, and large industrial consumers of electric power.
Mr. Elrod brings sophisticated knowledge of how to navigate regulatory agencies, garnered from his experience serving as a trial attorney at the Federal Power Commission on gas pipeline and electric utility matters. His work in private practice encompasses major regulatory proceedings and transactions. Mr. Elrod’s representations include proceedings at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), in state courts, before state regulatory commissions, and before Canada's National Energy Board (now Canada Energy Regulator). He has also briefed and argued cases in both federal and state appellate courts.
Mr. Elrod also regularly advises on regulatory issues arising in large-scale mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings, and capital markets offerings. His clients include publicly traded corporations, private equity firms, and other energy asset owners and investors.
Mr. Elrod has an active pro bono practice focused on representing veterans seeking medical, retirement, and other benefits. These representations are part of the National Veterans Legal Services Program’s “Lawyers Serving Warriors” project.
Mr. Elrod has served on Law360’s Energy Editorial Advisory Board since its inception in 2011. He is a Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
- Hall of Fame for Energy Regulation: Oil & Gas The Legal 500 US 2022
- Leading Lawyer for Energy Regulation: Oil & Gas The Legal 500 US 2019-2022
- Band 1 for Oil & Gas – Regulatory & Litigation Chambers Global 2005-2022
- Band 1 for Oil & Gas – Regulatory & Litigation Chambers USA 2005-2022
- Lawyer of the Year in Washington, D.C. for Oil & Gas (2019 and 2014), Energy Regulatory (2018), and Energy (2015) Best Lawyers
- Client Choice Award in Energy & Natural Resources International Law Office 2015
- Energy & Environmental Trailblazer Award The National Law Journal 2015
- Leading Lawyer for Energy Litigation: Oil & Gas Legal 500 US 2008-2015
- “Works well with regulators and opposing counsel while vigorously representing our point of view, all without alienating anyone.” International Law Office 2015