David Lee, a partner in Latham & Watkins’ Corporate Department, structures and negotiates domestic and cross-border acquisitions, investments, and capital markets offerings on behalf of corporations, venture capital firms, and private equity houses.
Mr. Lee helps emerging and mature companies navigate their most critical transactions in a number of dynamic sectors, including the healthcare, cleantech, energy, and digital media industries. He regularly represents pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and healthcare companies in high-value sales and acquisitions of major drugs, new technologies, and emerging competitor firms. Mr. Lee advises venture capital and private equity firms on strategic investments and acquisitions in the healthcare, energy, and automotive sectors. He also handles equity and debt capital markets offerings on behalf of both issuers and investment banks.
Mr. Lee’s practice includes:
- Cross-border transactions
- Debt offerings
- Initial public offerings and follow-on offerings
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Private placements
- Take-private transactions
- Venture capital and private equity investments in public companies
Mr. Lee offers sophisticated commercial insights that reflect his experience in the private sector. Before becoming a lawyer, Mr. Lee served as a Certified Public Accountant in the audit and valuations department of Price Waterhouse, and as Controller and Vice President of Finance of a Fortune 500 energy company. He has also served as the Co-Chairman of the Transactions Affinity Group of the American Health Lawyers Association, and he has taught accounting courses at the UCLA Extension Program. At Latham, he leads the firm’s negotiations training program.
Mr. Lee has been recognized as a leading corporate lawyer for his work across practice areas. Among his honors, Mr. Lee was named in Who’s Who Legal for Capital Markets in 2014 and was selected as a Southern California Rising Star 2013 by Super Lawyers for Mergers & Acquisitions.
Mr. Lee has represented the following clients:
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Alvogen in several generic and branded drug acquisitions, including its purchase of Naprelan from Shionogi; clindamycin injection from Hospira; an acetylcysteine inhalation solution from Pfizer; felbamate from Mylan; and Tenoretic, Tenormin, Zestoretic, and Zestril from AstraZeneca
- Watson Pharmaceuticals in its US$1.9 billion acquisition of Andrx and its €4.5 billion acquisition of Actavis
- American Medical Systems in its US$2.9 billion sale to Endo Pharmaceuticals
- Vizio in its US$2.25 billion sale to LeEco
- Health Care Property Investors in its US$2.9 billion acquisition of Slough Estates USA
- Energy Capital Partners in its US$1.1 billion acquisition of EnergySolutions (NYSE: ES) and its acquisition of Coalogix from Acorn Energy
Venture Capital and Private Equity
- Telegraph Hill Partners in various growth equity investments in Althea Technologies, Aquaro Histology, Argonaut Manufacturing, Datapros for Healthcare, Med-Pharmex, Medpricer, and Verogen
- Alliance Inspection Management (a subsidiary of Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation) in its formation, financing, and subsequent sale to Cox Automotive
- Inversiones Alsacia in its US$464 million senior secured notes offering
- Piper Jaffray as underwriter of the US$58 million follow-on offering of common stock for Mako Surgical
- Purchasers in the private placement of US$115 million of convertible notes issued by American Oriental Bioengineering