David Lai is an associate in the Tokyo office of Latham & Watkins and a member of the firm’s Corporate Department. Mr. Lai’s practice covers a broad range of corporate transactions, including cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances, and general corporate counseling. He has represented both public and private companies across a wide range of industries, including technology, life sciences, energy, and computer and video gaming.
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Lai worked as an associate in the corporate department of a major international firm in Seattle. He was named a Rising Star by the Washington Super Lawyer listing in 2016 and 2017. Mr. Lai is qualified to practice before the New York and Washington bars and in Japan as Gaikokuho-Jimu-Bengoshi (registered foreign lawyer, Washington and New York law).
Mr. Lai's experience includes representing:
- San Miguel Corporation (Philippines) in its US$1.9 billion acquisition of Masin-AES Pte. Ltd. from AES and the EGCO Group. This transaction involves the acquisition of the 630 MW Masinloc coal-fired power plant, its expansion under construction, and the 10 MW Masinloc energy storage project in Zambales, Philippines.
- Shandong Ruyi Investment Holding (China) in its acquisition of the Apparel & Advanced Textiles business of INVISTA, a producer of chemical intermediates, polymers, and fibers.
- Nestlé S.A. (Switzerland) in its acquisition of a majority stake in Blue Bottle Coffee.
- Qualcomm Incorporated in its joint venture with TDK Corporation.*
- Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI) in its acquisition of Adventure Projects Inc.*
- Etubics Corporation in its acquisition by NantCell, Inc.*
- Imperium Renewables, Inc. in its acquisition by Renewable Energy Group, Inc.*
- Zones, Inc. in its acquisition of Infrastructure Technologies LLC.*
- Adaptive Biotechnologies Corporation in its acquisition of Sequenta, Inc.*
- Walk Score, Inc. in its acquisition by Redfin Corporation.*
- Essentialis, Inc. in its acquisition by Capnia, Inc.*
- Pluto VR Inc. in its US$13.9 million Series A Preferred Stock financing.*
- Eldridge Industries as the lead investor in the US$100 million Series E-1 Preferred Stock financing of DraftKings Inc.*
- A nutritional meal company in its US$25 million Series A Preferred Stock financing and accompanying tender offer and rights offering.*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham