Christopher Kandel is a Co-Chair of the firm’s global Banking Practice and specializes in complex international acquisition and leveraged finance transactions. Mr. Kandel is distinguished in the London market as one of the few attorneys with partner-level experience and expertise in handling leveraged finance and restructuring matters under both English and US law, with more than 20 years of experience in the London finance market. He has been recognized as a leading lawyer in various legal directories, including Chambers UK (Band 1), Legal 500 (leading individual), and IFLR1000 (leading lawyer).
Mr. Kandel's experience includes senior, second lien, and mezzanine acquisition, and leveraged finance, high yield securities, bridge facilities, receivables securitizations and other structured financings, corporate acquisitions and disposals, venture capital, distressed debt trading, and other banking, project finance, export credit agency, capital market, and restructuring matters.
Mr. Kandel's representative experience includes:
- Take private financings in 2017 for Ladbrokes Coral Group plc (UK - offer by GVC), Lavendon plc (UK - purchased by Loxam S.A.), Merus Pharma (Canada - purchased by Norgine B.V.), and Nets A/S (Denmark - offer by Hellman & Friedman)
- Other covenant lite financings in 2017 including for B&M European Value Retail S.A. (£450 million), Paroc (€505 million), and Averys (€240 million)
- The €6.8 billion financing for China National Chemical Corporation's purchase of shares in Pirelli from Camfin S.p.A and the subsequent tender offer for the remaining shares in Pirelli
- The €1.55 billion revolving credit facilities, €1.175 billion term loan backstop facility, and €600 million term loan facility in connection with TUI AG’s take private of TUI Travel plc
- The €1.45 billion revolving and term loan facilities for Tank & Rast, the German motorway services company
- The US$1.2 billion debt financing for Nokia’s purchase of the balance of its joint venture with Siemens
- The US$3.29 billion bond offering by SoftBank Corp, the largest high yield bond offering in Asia
- The US$1.685 billion debt financing for Vista’s take private acquisition of Misys PLC
- The €3.6 billion debt financing for the leveraged buyout of Polkomtel, Europe’s largest LBO financing 2009-2012
In Mr. Kandel’s career, he has advised on many landmarks including numerous European acquisition financings, the largest LBO financing in Asia, the second-ever high yield issue in Japan, the first international syndicated loan to a corporate in Turkey, the first super-senior revolver in Europe, the first pari passu secured bank/bond issue in Europe, the first western-sponsor style leveraged buyout financing in Russia, and the restructuring of British Energy.