Dr. Christian Thiele is a partner in the Hamburg office and practices in the firm’s Real Estate Practice. He advises private equity funds as well as national and international real estate investors on domestic and cross-border real estate transactions, with a special focus on real estate private equity and joint ventures. He advises investors in connection with direct and indirect acquisitions and disposals of all kinds of real estate, including forward deals. In addition his practice focuses on negotiation and restructuring of real estate joint ventures and all the resulting corporate and real estate issues. Mr. Thiele´s range of services includes all types of assets with a special focus on retail and multi-family.
From 1997 to 2000, he was a research assistant at the Max-Planck-Institute for Comparative and International Private Law in Hamburg. During his German practical training he completed positions with the German embassy in Windhoek, Namibia, and in a law firm in Buenos Aires, Argentina. He was the Joseph Story Research Fellow at Harvard Law School in 2001/2002.
“Clients like his ‘commercial awareness and leadership abilities in tough situations.’ Sources also deem him to be ‘very sympathetic, highly intelligent and very good in negotiations.’” (Chambers Europe Germany 2018). Mr. Thiele is commended as “highly professional and efficient” (The Legal 500 Germany 2018). Furthermore he is recommended for real estate by JUVE 2017/2018 and competitors praise him as an “excellent negotiator and extremely pleasant. Cooperation on a very high level.’“ Clients say that he is "very detailed, hard-working and very quick to complete huge amounts of work" (Chambers Europe Germany 2017) and commend Mr. Thiele "for his experience in international property transactions.” (Chambers Europe Germany 2016)
He has published numerous law review articles and held many lectures on international contract drafting and negotiation.
Dr. Thiele’s experience includes advising:
- Ares Management Ltd. on acquisitions, sales and project developments, further property law issues (in particular leases), and financing. Key transactions include the sale of One Goetheplaza, the sale of several Kaufhof properties, and the refinancing of the Golf portfolio, among others
- Azure Hotels in connection with acquisitions and disposals of several hotels of the Azure group
- Corpus Sireo on the sale of a residential real estate portfolio to Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management (RREEF)
- Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management (RREEF) on transactions
- Douglas Angelo, Gordon & Co. on various acquisitions (residential, industrial, retail)
- HanseMerkur Grundvermögen on the acquisition of a real estate portfolio consisting of 34 office and retail properties located in Germany and Austria from the Austrian real estate group Conwert as well as on the the acquisition of project development
- Morgan Stanley Real Estate Fund on the acquisition and financing of several large retail property portfolios, most recently the Christie portfolio, on the sale of assets of the Bavaria, Horn and Tobago portfolios as well as continuous advice
- Origami Capital on the acquisition of real estate assets
- Proprium Capital Partners on the acquisition of a residential portfolio
- REDOS Real Estate GmbH on various acquisitions and disposals, in particular portfolio transactions