Charles Read is an energy and public utilities lawyer who handles matters for natural gas, pipeline, electric, and telecommunications companies before the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), other state public utilities and public service commissions, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), and in state and federal courts.
In addition to representing public utilities and their holding companies, Mr. Read advises investors, lenders, suppliers, and large customers in these sectors. Mr. Read is actively involved in the technological transformation that is changing the regulatory landscape through innovations such as renewable natural gas, carbon sequestration, battery storage, safety risk assessment and mitigation, smart meter capabilities, and energy fuel substitution analysis.
Mr. Read’s experience includes:
- CPUC rulemakings regarding utility safety, resource planning, inspection cycles
- Pipeline proceedings including rate cases, accident investigations, and corporate reorganizations
- Investigations into alleged manipulation of the California wholesale energy markets
- Advising on strategies for coordination among CPUC, FERC, and civil litigation
- Defense of construction and operating costs of natural gas, crude oil and products pipelines, and nuclear and fossil generating plants
- Safety and accident investigations and litigation involving oil tankers, pipelines, power plants, electric distribution systems, and gas storage
Mr. Read co-chairs the Committee on State Regulation of the Infrastructure and Regulated Industries Section of the American Bar Association and is a member of the California Conference of Public Utility Counsel. He is a member of the California, New York, and District of Columbia bars. Mr. Read also has taught classes on energy at UCLA School of Law and given CLE classes on CPUC Rules of Practice and Procedure.