Charles Read is an energy and public utilities lawyer who handles matters for electric power, natural gas, pipeline and telecommunications companies before the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), other state public utilities and public service commissions, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), and in state and federal courts.
In addition to representing regulated companies, Mr. Read advises investors, lenders, suppliers and large customers in these sectors. Mr. Read is actively involved in the technological transformation that is changing the regulatory landscape through distributed generation, new requirements for risk assessment and mitigation, electric transmission expansion, smart meter capabilities, enhanced reliability standards, and compliance with renewable generation requirements.
Mr. Read's experience includes:
- Investigations into alleged manipulation of the California wholesale energy markets
- Oil and gas royalty disputes
- Power purchase agreement regulatory approval and dispute resolution
- Defense of construction and operating costs of natural gas, crude oil and products pipelines and nuclear and fossil generating plants
- Safety and accident investigations and litigation involving oil tankers, pipelines, power plants, electric distribution systems and gas storage
- Regulatory proceedings for mergers, reorganizations and change of control
Mr. Read chairs the Committee on State Regulation of the Infrastructure and Regulated Industries Section of the American Bar Association and is a member of the California Conference of Public Utility Counsel. He is admitted to the California, New York and District of Columbia bars. Mr. Read also has taught classes on energy at UCLA School of Law.